It is my desire to become a seller of your goods instead of only your camel boy.
我想當一名推銷員,幫您去賣貨,我不想一輩子只當為您看管駱駝的僮仆。
I wish to become as Hadad, Simon, Caleb,
我想和哈德、西蒙、凱利他們一樣,
and the others who depart from our baggage wagons with animals barely able to crawl from the weight of your goods
帶著大批大批的貨出去,
and who return with gold for thee and gold also for themselves.
回來的時候帶回一大堆金子。
I desire to improve my lowly position in life.
我不想再過這樣卑微的生活,
As a camel boy I am nothing,
一輩子喂養駱駝,沒有什么出息,
but as a salesman for you
如果能做推銷員,
I can acquire wealth and success
那我有一天也會成功,會賺大錢的。
"How do you know this?"
“你怎么會有這種念頭呢?”
"Often have I heard you say that no other trade
“我常聽您說,
or profession has more opportunity for one to rise from poverty to great wealth
一個人要想從貧窮變為富有,最有機會的方法
than that of salesman."
就是去做一名推銷員。
Pathros began to nod
柏薩羅開始點頭了,
but thought better of it and continued to question the youth.
思忖片刻,又繼續問少年道:
"Do you believe you are capable of performing as Hadad and the other sellers?"
你認為自己能夠做得像哈德還有其它推銷員一樣好嗎?
Hafid stared intently at the old man and replied,
海菲信心十足地盯著老人答道:
"Many times have I overheard Caleb com plain to you
我常聽凱利抱怨
about misfortunes that accounted for his lack of sales
運氣不佳,貨賣不出去,
and many times have I heard you remind him
也常聽您提醒他說,
that anyone could sell all the goods in your warehouse within a small passing of time
任何人只要肯勤學推銷的原則,掌握它的規律,
if he but applied himself to learn the principles and laws of selling.
就能在很短的時間里把貨賣光。
If you believe that Caleb, whom everyone calls a fool, can learn these principles,
像凱利這么笨的人都能學會那些本領,
then cannot I also acquire this special knowledge?"
我就不能學會嗎?”
"If you should master these principles what would be your goal in life?"
“如果有一天,你對那些原則運用自如,那你畢生的目標是什么?”
Hafid hesitated and then said:"
海菲猶豫了一下,然后答道:
It has been repeated throughout the land
人人都稱贊您
that you are a great salesman.
是一位了不起的推銷大師,
The world has never seen a trade empire such as you have built through your mastery of salesmanship.
世界上從來沒有一個商業王國像您親手建立的這么龐大。