But what truly devastated Jobs was that he was not, after all, chosen as the Man of the Year.
但真正傷害了喬布斯的是,他終究沒能被選為“年度人物”。
As he later told me: Time decided they were going to make me Man of the Year,
正如他后來告訴我的:《時代》已經決定要讓我成為“年度人物”了,
and I was twenty-seven, so I actually cared about stuff like that.
當時我才27歲,所以我真的很在意這件事,
I thought it was pretty cool.
我覺得那很酷。
They sent out Mike Moritz to write a story.
他們派邁克爾·莫里茨來寫篇文章。
We're the same age, and I had been very successful,
我們兩個同齡,而我當時事業已經非常成功了,
and I could tell he was jealous and there was an edge to him.
我能看得出來他很嫉妒,他又恰好掌握了有利條件。
He wrote this terrible hatchet job.
所以他寫了一篇惡毒誹謗的文章。
So the editors in New York get this story and say,
紐約的編輯們看到這篇文章后說,
"We can't make this guy Man of the Year." That really hurt.
我們不能讓這種人當“年度人物”。這真的讓我很傷心。
But it was a good lesson.
不過也是個很好的教訓,
It taught me to never get too excited about things like that, since the media is a circus anyway.
它告訴我永遠不要為了那樣的事情過分激動,因為媒體就像馬戲團一樣。
They FedExed me the magazine, and I remember opening the package,
他們用聯邦快遞把雜志寄給了我,我記得當時拆開包裝的時候,
thoroughly expecting to see my mug on the cover, and it was this computer sculpture thing.
滿心希望在封面上看見自己的臉,結果卻是個電腦的雕像。
I thought, "Huh?"
我還想:“怎么回事?”
And then I read the article, and it was so awful that I actually cried.
然后我看了那篇文章,寫得太糟糕了,我真的哭了出來。
In fact there's no reason to believe that Moritz was jealous or that he intended his reporting to be unfair.
事實上,沒有理由相信莫里茨當時嫉妒喬布斯,或者故意想進行不公正的報道。
Nor was Jobs ever slated to be Man of the Year, despite what he thought.
喬布斯也從沒有被定為“年度人物”,盡管他自己不這么認為。
That year the top editors (I was then a junior editor there) decided early on to go with the computer rather than a person,
那一年,編輯們(我也在其中,只是資歷較淺)早就決定刊登“計算機”而不是某個人了,
and they commissioned, months in advance, a piece of art from the famous sculptor George Segal to be a gatefold cover image.
而且他們提前幾個月就委托著名的雕塑家喬治·西格爾制作一件藝術品,作為折頁封面上的圖像。
Ray Cave was then the magazine's editor.
雷·凱夫當時是雜志的一名編輯。
"We never considered Jobs," he said.
“我們從沒有考慮過喬布斯,”他說,
"You couldn't personify the computer, so that was the first time we decided to go with an inanimate object.
“你無法把電腦比做人,所以那是我們第一次決定選用一個無生命的物體。
We never searched around for a face to be put on the cover."
我們從沒有想讓某個人出現在封面上。”