Most of the educational games that are out there today are really flashcards.
今天的多數教育游戲是過時的,它們只是卡片游戲。
They're glorified drill and practice.
它們都是很耗人的和需要人們的耐心來玩。
They don't have the depth, the rich narrative that really engaging video games have,
它們沒有真正打電子游戲時的那種耐玩性,豐富的游戲互動性,
that the boys are really interested in.
這些才會讓男孩們真正感興趣。
So we need to design better games.
所以我們要設計更好玩的游戲。
We need to talk to teachers and parents and school board members and politicians.
我們要和老師,家長,學校董事會成員和政治家對話。
We need to make sure that people see that we need more men in the classroom.
我們必須確保讓人們看到,我們要在課堂上有更多的男性老師。
We need to look carefully at our zero tolerance policies.
我們要格外關注我們的零容忍政策。
Do they make sense?
它們是否合理?
We need to think about how to uncompress this curriculum if we can,
我們要思考我們該怎樣解壓這課程,
trying to bring boys back into a space that is comfortable for them.
我們盡量努力讓男孩回到適合他們待的地方來。
All of those conversations need to be happening.
這所有的對話都要發生。
There are some great examples out there of schools
這里也有一些很好的學校--
the New York Times just talked about a school recently.
最近紐約時報就談到一個學校。
A game designer from the New School put together a wonderful video gaming school.
新學校的游戲設計者組合了一所非常棒的視頻游戲學校。
But it only treats a few kids, and so this isn't very scalable.
但它只針對個別的孩子。這種學校非常稀缺。
We have to change the culture
所以我們得改變學校里的男孩文化
and the feelings that politicians and school board members and parents
和改變政治家,學校董事會成員和父母對待男孩文化的想法,它是有關今天在我們學校,
have about the way we accept and what we accept in our schools today.
我們已接受的這種男孩文化方式和我們要去接受的男孩文化。
We need to find more money for game design.
我們要給游戲設計投資更多的錢。
Because good games, really good games, cost money,
因為好游戲,非常好的游戲是要花錢的,
and World of Warcraft has quite a budget.
魔獸世界有相當多的預算。
Most of the educational games do not.
大多數教育游戲沒有那么多預算。
Where we started: my colleagues -- Mike Petner, Shawn Vashaw, myself --
我們從哪里開始呢:我同事--邁克·派特納,肖恩·瓦紹和我,
we started by trying to look at the teachers' attitudes
我們開始了解老師對此的態度
and find out how do they really feel about gaming, what do they say about it.
并找出她們真正對游戲的想法,對此她們想說什么。
And we discovered that they talk about the kids in their school,
我們發現她們在學校談到男孩打游戲,
who talk about gaming, in pretty demeaning ways.
他們是用一種非常貶損的口吻。
They say, "Oh, yeah. They're always talking about that stuff.
她們說,“哦,是的。他們常常談論視頻游戲。
They're talking about their little action figures
他們談論著他們的小英雄人物
and their little achievements or merit badges, or whatever it is that they get.
和他們的網上小成績或者獲得的徽章,或者任何他們贏得的獎勵。
And they're always talking about this stuff."
他們常常談論這些東西。”
And they say these things as if it's okay.
她們說這些話好像是沒關系似的。
But if it were your culture, think of how that might feel.
但如果這是你的文化呢,想想你會感覺如何?
It's very uncomfortable to be on the receiving end of that kind of language.
老師的那種語言對于男孩這些接收者們來說,聽上去是非常不舒服的。
They're nervous about anything that has anything to do with violence
老師們對任何涉及暴力的東西都感到焦慮,
because of the zero tolerance policies.
這是因為零容忍的政策。
They are sure that parents and administrators will never accept anything.
男孩知道他們的父母和校官絕不會接受這一切。
So we really need to think about looking at teacher attitudes
所以我們的確要思考審視老師的態度
and finding ways to change the attitudes
找到改變這態度的方法
so that teachers are much more open and accepting of boy cultures in their classrooms.
好讓老師更加寬容,以開放的態度來接受在課堂上的這種男孩文化。
Because, ultimately, if we don't,
因為,最終,我們要是不改變,
then we're going to have boys who leave elementary school saying,
就會有離開小學的男孩子說,
"Well I guess that was just a place for girls. It wasn't for me.
“好吧,我猜學校只是適合女生待;并不適合我。
So I've got to do gaming, or I've got to do sports."
所以我要去打游戲,或者玩體育。”
If we change these things, if we pay attention to these things,
如果我們改變這些事,如果我們關注這些事,
and we re-engage boys in their learning,
我們重新喚起男孩學習的熱情,
they will leave the elementary schools saying, "I'm smart."
他們在離開小學時,說,“我變聰明了。”
Thank you.
謝謝。