Back at SCVNGR, we like to joke that with seven game dynamics,
在SCVNGR的時候,我們總開玩笑說,如果有7個玩游戲的動機的話,
you can get anyone to do anything.
我們就能讓任何人做任何事情。
And so today, I'm going to show you four,
今天我給大家介紹四種,
because I hope to have a competitive advantage at the end of this, still.
因為我想保留一些,以保證我的相對優勢。
So the first one, it's a very simple game dynamic.
第一個,很簡單的玩游戲的動機。
It's called the appointment dynamic.
它叫做約定動機appointment dynamic。
And this is a dynamic in which to succeed,
要想使這種動機發揮作用,
players have to do something at a predefined time, generally at a predefined place.
參與游戲者需要在約定的時間做某種事情,通常也約定好了地點。
And these dynamics are a little scary sometimes, because you think, you know,
有時這種動機有些嚇人,因為,你可以設想,
other people can be using forces that will manipulate how I interact: what I do, where I do it, when I do it.
其他人可能用這種力量來控制人們該如何交流,做什么,在什么地方做以及什么時候去做。

This sort of loss of free will that occurs in games can be frightening,
在游戲過程中,這種自由的喪失確實存在,有些恐怖,
so with each dynamic, I'm going to give three examples:
每種動機我都會舉三個例子——
one that shows how this is already being used in the real world,
一個是已經在真實世界中應用的例子,
so you can sort of rationalize it a little bit;
所以你們可以更好地體會它,
one that shows it in what we consider a conventional game --
另一個是指出它在傳統游戲中表現——
I think everything is a game,
我認為所有的事情都是游戲,
but this is sort of more of a what you would think is a game played on a board or on a computer screen,
這與棋盤游戲或者電腦游戲很相似,
and then one how this can be used for good,
最后一個例子是如何向著好的方向利用這種動機,
so we can see that these forces can really be very powerful.
由此我們可以看到這些力量是如何的強大。
So the first one -- the most famous appointment dynamic in the world--is something called happy hour.
第一個例子——也就是世界上有關約定動機的最有名的例子--被稱作快樂時刻的例子。
So I just recently dropped out of Princeton
因為我剛剛從普林斯頓輟學,
and actually ended up for the first time in a bar,
第一次在酒吧中結束學業生涯,
and I saw these happy hour things all over the place, right.
我發現在很多地方都有這種優惠時段。
And this is simply an appointment dynamic.
這是一種簡單的約定動機。
Come here at a certain time, get your drinks half off.
在特定的時間到這里聚會,喝一杯半價飲料。
To win, all you have to do is show up at the right place at the right time.
為了好處,你會在特定時間出現在特定地方。
This game dynamic is so powerful
這種游戲動力如此強大,
that it doesn't just influence our behavior, it's influenced our entire culture.
以至于它不僅影響到我們的行為,還影響了整個文化。
That's a really scary thought, that one game dynamic can change things so powerfully.
這確實讓人害怕,一種玩游戲的動機居然使事情發生如此大的改變。
It also exists in more conventional game forms.
這種動機也存在于很多傳統游戲中。
I'm sure you've all heard of Farmville by now.
我敢肯定你們都聽說過了美國農場游戲Farmville。
If you haven't, I recommend playing it.
如果你沒聽過,我推薦你玩一下。
You won't do anything else with the rest of your day.
有了它,一天的其他時間里你都不會再去做別的事了。
Farmville has more active users than Twitter.
美國農場游戲Farmville的用戶比Twitter的用戶還活躍。
It's incredibly powerful, and it has this dynamic
它的力量是如此的強大,能讓你
where you have to return at a certain time to water your crops -- fake crops -- or they wilt.
在特定的時刻趕回來玩游戲,為你的莊稼澆水--虛擬的莊稼--否則它們就枯萎了。
And this is so powerful that, when they tweak their stats,
它的力量如此強大,當信息顯示,
when they say your crops wilt after eight hours, or after six hours, or after 24 hours,
你的莊稼會在8個小時、6個小時或者24個小時之后枯萎,
it changes the lifecycle of 70 million-some people during the day.
它就能改變這一天7千萬人的生物鐘。
They will return like clockwork at different times.
他們會像鬧鐘一樣準時地在不同時間回來給莊稼澆水。
So if they wanted the world to end, if they wanted productivity to stop,
如果制定游戲的人想要農場倒閉,生產力停滯,
they could make this a 30-minute cycle, and no one could do anything else, right?
他們可以把澆水的周期改為30分鐘,所有人就無法做其他事情了。
That's a little scary.
這有些恐怖。
But this could also be used for good.
但是也可以用這種動機做好事。
This is a local company called Vitality,
有一個本地的企業叫做Vitality,
and they've created a product to help people take their medicine on time.
他們生產一種產品來幫助人們按時吃藥。
That's an appointment.
這是一種約定。
It's something that people don't do very well.
在這個方面,有時人們表現的并不好。
And they have these GlowCaps, which, you know, flash and email you
所以他們就制造了GlowCaps,能夠閃爍,還能夠給你發郵件
and do all sorts of cool things to remind you to take your medicine.
還會做一些其他有趣的事情來提醒你吃藥。
This is one that isn't a game yet, but really should be.
這不太像是一種游戲,但實際上它是。
You should get points for doing this on time.
當你按時吃藥的話,你就能夠得分。
You should lose points for not doing this on time.
沒有做到就要被扣分。
They should consciously recognize that they've built an appointment dynamic and leverage the games.
他們應該意識到,他們已經擁有了約定動機,提升了游戲的水平。
And then you can really achieve good in some interesting ways.
你確實可以巧妙地利用這一動機做些好事。