Led by her, I passed from compartment to compartment, from passage to passage, of a large and irregular building.
我被她領著在一個形狀不規則的大樓里,走過一個又一個房間,穿過一條又一條過道。
Till, emerging from the total and somewhat dreary silence pervading that portion of the house we had traversed,
這些地方都是那么悄無聲息,甚至還有幾分凄切。
we came upon the hum of many voices, and presently entered a wide, long room, with great deal tables,
后來我們突然聽到嗡嗡的嘈雜的人聲,頃刻之間便走進了一個又闊又長的房間,兩頭各擺著兩張大木板桌。
two at each end, on each of which burnt a pair of candles, and seated all round on benches,
每張桌子上點著兩支蠟燭,圍著桌子坐在長凳上。
a congregation of girls of every age, from nine or ten to twenty.
一群年齡在九歲、十歲到二十歲之間的姑娘,
Seen by the dim light of the dips, their number to me appeared countless, though not in reality exceeding eighty.
在昏暗的燭光下,我感到她們似乎多得難以計數,盡管實際上不會超過八十人。
They were uniformly dressed in brown stuff frocks of quaint fashion, and long holland pinafores.
她們清一色地穿著式樣古怪的毛料上衣,系著長長的亞麻細布圍涎。
It was the hour of study.
那正是學習時間。

They were engaged in conning over their to-morrow's task, and the hum I had heard was the combined result of their whispered repetitions.
他們正忙于默記第二天的功課,我所聽的的嗡嗡之聲,正是集體小聲讀書所發出來的。
Miss Miller signed to me to sit on a bench near the door,
米勒小姐示意我坐在門邊的長凳上,
then walking up to the top of the long room she cried out: “Monitors, collect the lesson-books and put them away!”
隨后走到這個長房間的頭上,大聲嚷道:“班長們,收好書本,放到一邊!”
Four tall girls arose from different tables, and going round, gathered the books and removed them.
四位個子很高的姑娘從各張桌子旁站起來,兜了一圈,把書收集起來放好。
Miss Miller again gave the word of command: “Monitors, fetch the supper-trays!”
米勒小姐再次發布命令:“班長們,去端晚飯盤子!”
The tall girls went out and returned presently, each bearing a tray, with portions of something,
高個子姑娘們走了出去,很快又回來了,每人端了個大盤子,
I knew not what, arranged thereon, and a pitcher of water and mug in the middle of each tray.
盤子里放著一份份不知什么東西,中間是一大罐水和一只大杯子。
The portions were handed round.
那一份份東西都分發了出去。
Those who liked took a draught of the water, the mug being common to all.
高興喝水的人還喝了口水,那大杯子是公用的。
When it came to my turn, I drank, for I was thirsty, but did not touch the food, excitement and fatigue rendering me incapable of eating.
輪到我的時候,因為口渴,我喝了點水、但沒有去碰食品,激動和疲倦已使我胃口全無。
I now saw, however, that it was a thin oaten cake shaved into fragments.
不過我倒是看清楚了,那是一個薄薄的燕麥餅,平均分成了幾小塊。
The meal over, prayers were read by Miss Miller, and the classes filed off, two and two, upstairs.
吃完飯,米勒小姐念了禱告,各班魚貫而出,成雙成對走上樓梯。
Overpowered by this time with weariness, I scarcely noticed what sort of a place the bedroom was,
這時我己經疲憊不堪,幾乎沒有注意到寢室的模樣,
except that, like the schoolroom, I saw it was very long.
只看清了它像教室一樣很長。
Tonight I was to be Miss Miller's bed-fellow.
今晚我同米勒小姐同睡一張床。
She helped me to undress.
她幫我脫掉衣服。
When laid down I glanced at the long rows of beds, each of which was quickly filled with two occupants.
我躺下時,我瞥了一眼一長排一長排床,每張床很快睡好了兩個人。
In ten minutes the single light was extinguished, and amidst silence and complete darkness I fell asleep.
十分鐘后那僅有的燈光也熄滅了,在寂靜無聲與一片漆黑中,我沉沉睡去。