"Is there a little girl called Jane Eyre here?" she asked.
"有個叫簡·愛的小姑娘嗎?"她問。
I answered "Yes," and was then lifted out.
我回答了,聲"有"之后便被抱了出去。
My trunk was handed down, and the coach instantly drove away.
箱子也卸了下來,隨后馬車立即駛走了。
I was stiff with long sitting, and bewildered with the noise and motion of the coach.
因為久坐,我身子都發僵了,馬車的喧聲和震動弄得我迷迷糊糊。
Gathering my faculties, I looked about me.
我定下神來,環顧左右。
Rain, wind, and darkness filled the air.
只見雨在下,風在刮,周圍一片黑暗。
Nevertheless, I dimly discerned a wall before me and a door open in it.
不過我隱約看到面前有一堵墻,墻上有一扇門。
Through this door I passed with my new guide.
新來的向導領我進去。
She shut and locked it behind her.
她把門關上,隨手上了鎖。

There was now visible a house or houses — for the building spread far — with many windows, and lights burning in some.
這時看得見一間,也許是幾間房子,因為那建筑物鋪展得很開,上面有很多窗子,其中幾扇里亮著燈。
We went up a broad pebbly path, splashing wet, and were admitted at a door.
我們踏上一條水沫飛濺的寬闊石子路,后來又進了一扇門。
Then the servant led me through a passage into a room with a fire, where she left me alone.
接著仆人帶我穿過一條過道,進了一個生著火的房間,撇下我走了。
I stood and warmed my numbed fingers over the blaze, then I looked round.
我站著,在火上烘著凍僵了的手指。
There was no candle, but the uncertain light from the hearth showed, by intervals, papered walls, carpet, curtains, shining mahogany furniture.
我舉目四顧,房間里沒有蠟燭,壁爐中搖曳的火光,間或照出了糊過壁紙的墻、地毯、窗簾、閃光的紅木家具。
It was a parlour, not so spacious or splendid as the drawing-room at Gateshead, but comfortable enough.
這是一間客廳,雖不及蓋茨黑德客廳寬敞堂皇,卻十分舒服。
I was puzzling to make out the subject of a picture on the wall,
我正迷惑不解地猜測著墻上一幅畫的畫意時,
when the door opened, and an individual carrying a light entered. Another followed close behind.
門開了,進來了一個人,手里提著一盞燈,后面緊跟著另一個人。
The first was a tall lady with dark hair, dark eyes, and a pale and large forehead.
先進門的是個高個子女人、黑頭發,黑眼睛,白皙寬大的額角。
Her figure was partly enveloped in a shawl, her countenance was grave, her bearing erect.
她半個身子裹在披巾里,神情嚴肅,體態挺直。
"The child is very young to be sent alone," said she, putting her candle down on the table.
"這孩子年紀這么小,真不該讓她獨個兒來,"她說著,把蠟燭放在桌子上。
She considered me attentively for a minute or two, then further added:
細細端詳了我一兩分鐘,隨后補充道:
"She had better be put to bed soon. She looks tired."
"還是快點送她上床吧,她看來累了。
"Are you tired?" she asked, placing her hand on my shoulder.
你累嗎?"她把手放在我肩上問道。
"A little, ma' am."
"有點累,太太。"
"And hungry too, no doubt.
"肯定也餓了。
Let her have some supper before she goes to bed, Miss Miller.
米勒小姐,讓她睡前吃些晚飯。
Is this the first time you have left your parents to come to school, my little girl?"
你是第一次離開父母來上學嗎,我的小姑娘?"
I explained to her that I had no parents.
我向她解釋說我沒有父母。
She inquired how long they had been dead.
她問我他們去世多久了。
Then how old I was, what was my name, whether I could read, write, and sew a little.
還問我自已幾歲,叫什么名字,會不會一點讀、寫和縫紉。
Then she touched my cheek gently with her forefinger, and saying,
隨后用食指輕輕碰了碰我臉頰說,
"She hoped I should be a good child," dismissed me along with Miss Miller.
但愿我是一個好孩子,說完便打發我與米勒小姐走了。
The lady I had left might be about twenty-nine.
那位剛離開的小姐約摸二十九歲。
The one who went with me appeared some years younger.
跟我一起走的那位比她略小幾歲。
The first impressed me by her voice, look, and air.
前者的腔調、目光和神態給我印象很深。
Miss Miller was more ordinary; ruddy in complexion, though of a careworn countenance;
而米勒小姐比較平淡無奇,顯得身心交瘁,但面色卻還紅潤。
hurried in gait and action, like one who had always a multiplicity of tasks on hand.
她的步態和動作十分匆忙,仿佛手頭總有忙不完的事情。
She looked, indeed, what I afterwards found she really was, an under-teacher.
說真的好看上去像個助理教師,后來我發現果真如此。