Your call, please.
你要打電話。
Long distance.
長途臺。
Long distance, certainly.
長途臺,好的。
This is long distance.
這里是長途臺。
I'd like to put in a call to my home in Brooklyn, New York. I'm Ronald Adams. Um, the number is Beechwood 20828.
我想打電話到紐約布魯克林,我的家里,電話號碼是畢奇伍德20828。我是朗諾得·亞當斯。
Certainly, I'll try to get it for you.
好的,我會幫您接通。
Albuquerque? New York for Gallup.
阿爾伯克基臺?要從蓋洛普打到紐約。
New York.
紐約臺。
Gallup, New Mexico calling Beech-wood 20828.
新墨西哥州蓋洛普臺接通畢奇伍德20828。
I'd read somewhere that love could banish demons.
我不知從哪里讀過這句話,愛能驅逐邪魔。
It was the middle of the morning.
現在未到中午。
I knew mother'd be home. I pictured her tall, white-haired in her crisp house-dress, going about her tasks.
我知道母親一定在家。我想像得出她一頭 白發往上梳起,身上穿著有些皺的家居服,走動著做家務。
It'd be enough, I thought, just to hear the even calmness of her voice.
我只要能聽到她那平和鎮定的聲音就好。