莫娜:這幅肖像畫怎么樣?
Leonardo:I'm done with the sketches and I'm ready to start on the painting.
萊奧納多:我受夠了這些草圖,我要準備開始進行創作了。
Mona:This commission is quite a godsend for a new artist.
莫娜:對于一位新的藝術家而言,這次的酬勞可謂天賜良機。
If you do a good job with this portrait, you may get other commissions.
如果你在這幅肖像上表現良好,你可能會得到更多。
Leonardo:It's all the same to me.
萊奧納多:這對我來說都是一樣的。
I paint them as I see them.
看到了我就會進行創作。
Mona:Well, I hope not exactly as you see them.
莫娜:嗯,我希望你看到的不會體現在創作上。
A portrait has to be flattering, doesn't it?
肖像畫得很討人喜歡,不是嗎?
Leonardo:You mean I should downplay bulging eyes, hooked noses, and double chins?
萊奧納多:你的意思是我應該淡化這些凸出的眼睛,彎曲的鼻子,還有那個雙下巴?
No way. That's what makes each face distinctive.
沒門。這樣的特點使每張臉看起來都獨一無二。
Mona:Maybe that isn't the best way to think about it.
莫娜:也許你這樣想才不是最好的。
Everybody has an image of themselves in their mind's eye.
每個人都有自己心目中的那個形象。
You would just be capturing that image.
你只要迎合那個圖像就好。
Leonardo:I'm an artist, not a psychologist.
萊奧納多:我是個藝術家,不是心理學家。
If they have squinty eyes, ears that stick out, a weak chin, or thin lips, that's what I'm going to paint.
如果他們眼睛是斜的,耳朵豎起來,下巴沒吸引力,或嘴唇薄薄的,我就要依此進行創作。
Mona:But this sketch shows a really prominent forehead and a receding hairline.
莫娜:但這張草圖顯示了一個很突出的前額及后退的發際線。
Maybe you could just…
也許你可以…
Leonardo:No! I have to be true to my art.
萊奧納多:不!我必須讓自己的藝術忠于現實。
I'm not compromising.
我可不會妥協。
Mona:I was just hoping you could finally make enough money to move off of my couch!
莫娜:我只是希望你最終能賺到足夠的錢離開我的沙發!