Well, just to close, I want to suggest to you
好,說到這里,我想提醒大家
that I've been talking a lot about the fathers.
我已經談論了很多前人的事情
And I want to think about the possibilities
我還想考慮一下
of what democracy might look like, or might have looked like,
民主會是什么樣子,或者是已經是什么樣子的可能性
if we had more involved the mothers.
如果我們可以讓更多的母親參與進來
And I want to say something a little bit radical for a feminist,
我還想說對女權主義者有點激進的話
and that is that I think that there may be
那就是我認為
different kinds of insights
不同的人
that can come from different kinds of anatomies,
也許可以帶來不同的的觀察視角
particularly when we have people thinking in groups.
特別是當我們習慣于群體性思維的時候
Now for years, because I've been interested in intersex,
我已經對雙性人感興趣很多年了
I've also been interested in sex difference research.
也對性別差異也進行了多年的研究
And one of the things that I've been really interested in
我十分感興趣的事情之一是
is looking at the differences between males and females
去觀察世界范圍內男性與女性之間
in terms of the way they think and operate in the world.
在思考問題和解決問題上的差別
And what we know from cross-cultural studies
我們從跨文化研究中得知
is that females, on average --
女性,平均的看——
not everyone, but on average --
當然不是每個人,而是平均的看——
are more inclined to be very attentive
更傾向于留意
to complex social relations
復雜的社會關系
and to taking care of people
同時更加關心、同情
who are basically vulnerable within the group.
人群中的弱勢群體
And so if we think about that,
那么如果我們這么認為
we have an interesting situation on our hands.
我們發現一個有趣的情況
Years ago, when I was in graduate school,
數年前,當我讀研究生的時候
one of my graduate advisers who knew I was interested in feminism --
我的一位指導教授知道我對女權運動很感興趣——
I considered myself a feminist, as I still do --
我自認是女權主義者,一直是——
asked a really strange question.
他問了我一個很怪的問題
He said, "Tell me what's feminine about feminism."
他說:“告訴我女權主義女性化在哪里”
And I thought, "Well that's the dumbest question I've ever heard.
我想“恩……這是我聽過的最讓我啞口無言的問題
Feminism is all about undoing stereotypes about gender,
女權主義是所有消除陳腐性別觀念的一切活動的統稱,
so there's nothing feminine about feminism."
因此,女權主義不存在女性化”
But the more I thought about his question,
但是,進一步解讀這個問題,
the more I thought there might be something feminine about feminism.
我想的更多的是,也許女權主義存在著一些女性化
That is to say, there might be something, on average,
也就是說,也許有一些,總的說來
different about female brains from male brains
女性的思維不同于男性的部分
that makes us more attentive
使得我們更加富有警惕性
to deeply complex social relationships
對于復雜的社會關系
and more attentive to taking care of the vulnerable.
并且更加注意關心那些弱勢群體
So whereas the fathers were extremely attentive
但是前人們細心的
to figuring out how to protect individuals from the state,
指出如何保護個人不受國家的影響
it's possible that if we injected more mothers
如果我們在這個概念中注入如更多的母性
into this concept,
是可能的
what we would have is more of a concept
我們將擁有的要遠多于一個概念
of, not just how to protect,
不僅僅是如何保護
but how to care for each other.
而是如何照顧彼此
And maybe that's where we need to go in the future,
也許這就是我們未來要走的路
when we take democracy beyond anatomy,
當我們拋開人種的分別來講民主——
is to think less about the individual body,
也就是較少的考慮到人的個體
in terms of the identity,
關于人的身份特性,
and think more about those relationships.
而是更多的考慮人們之間的關系
So that as we the people try to create a more perfect union,
因此,當人們試圖創造一個更加美好的聯合體的時候
we're thinking about what we do for each other.
我們需要考慮的是我們為他人都做了什么
Thank you.
謝謝