Up until high school, I shared a small apartment with my extended family, which included my grandmother, my sister and my nephew.
直到高中畢業,我一直和我龐大的家庭分享一套小小的公寓,這一大家人包括了我的奶奶,我的妹妹和我的侄兒。
But looking back, I grew up in a world of unlimited opportunity.
但是回過頭看看,我是在一個有著無限機遇的世界長大。
Each night I would read, and reading opened up the world to me.
我每天晚上都會讀書,閱讀向我展開了整個世界。
I love reading history and especially biography.
我喜歡讀歷史,尤其是傳記。
In biographies, you are almost always reading about people who started out unimportant but ended up having a significant life.
在傳記里面,你總是能看到開始無足輕重的人,最終擁有與眾不同的人生。
What I liked most about biographies then and now is that the person you are reading about in his or her early life on page 50,
doesn't know about the success he or she will achieve by page 300.
不會知道他或者是她會在第三百頁的時候取得成功。
They couldn't see the greatness that lay ahead.
他們并不知道將會出現在自己面前的偉大。
If you think about it, that's a great justification for the optimism that you should have for the life ahead of you.
仔細想想這點吧,這是對你們自己未來的生活保持樂觀的一個極好理由。
All of you are only on about page 50 of your biography, with hundreds of pages to go.
你們所有人都僅僅在自己那本傳記的前五十頁,還有幾百頁的路要走。
Growing up, my biggest goal was just to get out of East New York.
在漫長的成長中,我最大的目標就是走出紐約東區。
I took the college entrance exam and committed myself to getting into college. I did.
我參加了大學入學試,發誓一定要進大學。我成功了。
The day I left for college was one of the first trips I made out of New York City.
我去讀大學的時候也是我第一次離開紐約市。
College was an intimidating place for me.
大學是一個令我心生敬畏的地方。
The other students seemed naturally confident; many had traveled and seemed to understand the world.
其他學生似乎很自然的充滿信心,很多人都曾到處旅行,看起來對這個世界十分了解。
To this day, I can't forget how insecure I felt, but it made me work harder.
直到今天,我還是沒有辦法忘記我當時的不安全感,但是這種感覺讓我更加努力地工作。
Once I realized I belonged, I became more ambitious.
當我在這里產生歸屬感后,我變得更有野心了。
Ambition is your inner voice that tells you you can and should strive to go beyond your circumstances or station in life.
野心是你內心的聲音,告訴你可以而且應該努力去超越人生的處境或者是限制。
You have overcome obstacles, pressures and self-doubt and you have done it because you have ambition.
你必須克服障礙,扛住壓力,打消自我懷疑,你能做到這些都是因為你有足夠的野心。
You want to succeed for your families and yourselves.
你想要為了你的家人以及你自己而成功。