Interviewer: I think my favourite is The Shroud of Turin
我最喜歡的猜想是說圖靈裹尸布
as a self portrait of Leonardo.
是達芬奇的自畫像
Yeah well
對
the Mona Lisa's a self portrait of Leonardo so it gets around.
也許人說蒙娜麗莎是達芬奇的自畫像,流傳開來
But having received the digital file I thought
但收到數碼文件后,我想
"Well it is at least worth seeing this,"
"這個至少值得看一看"
which one wouldn't normally do
通常我們不會這樣做
as most of them are not worth the time.
因為大部分這樣的畫都不值得浪費時間
And it was at that point in Zurich in a bank vault
它那時放在蘇黎世一間銀行保險庫里
or in a storage facility
或者在一個什么儲存場所里
which is where most of these sort of valuable pictures
大部分這種零散收藏的貴重畫
that are not in particular collections tend to be.
都會放在這種地方
And I was making a television program for an American producer.
我當時給一個美國制片人做一個電視節目
So I was going to be in Zurich anyway
所以我反正都要去蘇黎世的
because I don't even accept expenses.
因為我不會接受他幫我付路費
Because once you take money for doing an attribution,
因為你在做鑒定時收了錢
then your opinion is being bought in a way.
那么從某種程度上來說,你的意見已經被收買了
So I said "Well in 6 months time
所以我說"六個月后
I can be out there to look at this."
我會過去看看這幅畫"
So I did turn up and it was in a storage facility
所以我去了,它放在一個儲存場所
the men bringing it out with sort of big shoulders,
那些拿畫出來的人有點虎背熊腰
no necks so really scary guys.
壯得看不見脖子,非??膳?/div>
And it was placed in a special large room for us to look at.
它被放到一個特別的大房間里讓我們看
And I looked at it and thought
我看著它想
"This is actually a different league from all the others."
"這幅真的不同其他那些假畫"
You're still very cautious.
但我還要很謹慎
You really don't want to say jump at it
我真的不想馬上就得出結論
because once you start believing something too firmly,
因為一旦你開始過于堅定地相信某件事
you can get all the evidence looks right.
你就只能看到那些證明它的證據
So all the time you're dragging back and saying
所以你要一直重復問一個問題
"Lets see what's wrong with this.
"我們要看看這幅畫有什么不對勁的地方
Lets see why it's not a Leonardo,"
看看怎么證明它不是達芬奇的畫"
and you have to retain that scepticism
你一定要保持懷疑的態度
which trades as a scientist in a sense as how you're trained.
拿出科學家一樣
You always scrutinise the data and you never jump to conclusions.
你要不停地檢查資料,不能輕易得出結論
But anyway that was seeing it in the original.
那是我第一次見到那幅畫
And then I thought "Well this is worth researching seriously."
然后我想"這值得深入研究"
Doing the technical analysis. Doing all the historical research.
我去做技術分析,歷史研究
Seeing if we could place it,identify the sitter,
看我們能不能確認畫中人的身份
how does it fit with Leonardo?
它和達芬奇有什么關系?