That's a big fat claim. And I'm gonna try to back it up.
這是一個很大的題目,我會試著證明。
Now the UN secretary general Ban Ki-moon said. there are no languages required in a musical world.
聯合國秘書長潘基文說,在音樂的世界里對語言沒有要求。
That is the power of music and that's the power of the heart.
這就是音樂的力量,是心靈的力量。
Through this promotion of arts, we can better understand the culture and civilizations of the other people.
通過對藝術的推廣我們能夠更好地理解對方的文化與文明。
In this era of instability and intolerance, we need to promote better understanding through the power of music.
在這個動蕩和狹隘的時代,我們需要通過音樂的力量促進更好的理解。
The UN Secretary General thinks we need more music, and I think he's right.
聯合國秘書長認為我們需要更多音樂,我認為他是對的。
Music and arts have always played the key role in my life, in building relationships, replacing what once was ignorance, fear and hatred, with acceptance, friendship and even love.
音樂與藝術在我生活中曾起到重大作用,對人們建立友誼有很重要的作用,將曾經的無知,恐懼和憎恨變為接受,友誼,甚至是愛。
So I have strong case for promoting in music between cultures, because it happened to me earlier in life.
所以在不同文化中推廣音樂這方面,我很有發言權。因為我早年有這種經歷。
I was born and raised up in New York. I barely spoke a word of Chinese.
我在紐約出生和成長,我很少說中文。
I didn't know the difference between Taiwan or Thailand. I was...it's true!
我那時分不清臺灣和泰國。我曾經…這是真的!
I was as American as an apple pie, until one day on a third grade playground,the inevitable finally happened.
我曾經像一只蘋果派那樣,是正宗的美國貨。直到有一天,在三年級的游樂場上最終發生了不可避免的事。
I got teased for being Chinese.
我被嘲笑是個中國人。
Now every kid get teased for made fun of on the playground, but this was fundamentally different, and I knew it right then and there.
我們知道每個小孩都在游樂場上被嘲笑或開過玩笑,但這個玩笑有著根本的不同,我當時就明白了這一點。
This kid, let's call him Brian McKilroy.
這個小孩就叫他布萊恩·麥克基羅吧。
He started making fun for me, saying, Chinese, Japanese, Dirty knees, Look at these!
他開始嘲笑我,說中國人,日本人,矮油我去,快看啊。
I can't believe you're laughing, that hurts! OK, I'm just kidding.
你們居然笑,很傷人的!好了,我開玩笑。
I can still remember how I can felt.
我依然能記得我是什么感覺。
I felt ashamed, I felt embarrassed, but I laughted along with them, with everyone.
我感到羞恥,窘迫,但是我和他們和每個人一起笑。
And I didn't know what else to do, it was like having an out-body experience.
我不知道還有什么可做,就好像我不是我自己一樣。
As if I could laugh at that Chinese kid on the playground, with all the other Americans because I was one of them. Right? .
就好像我也可以在游樂場上嘲笑一個中國孩子,和其他美國孩子一起,因為我是“他們”的一員,對嗎?
Wrong! On many levels.
錯了!大錯特錯。