The pharmacist's brother was a well-dressed man.
這時候,藥劑師的弟弟來了,他是個穿著很得體的男人。
He stooped down and asked the little girl, “What kind of a miracle does your brother need?”
他問小女孩“你弟弟需要什么樣的奇跡呢?”
“I don't know,” Tess replied with her eyes welling up.
“我不知道,”苔絲的眼淚涌了上來。
“I just know he's really sick and Mommy says he needs an operation. But my Daddy can't pay for it, so I want to use my money.”
“我只知道他病得非常厲害,媽媽說他需要做手術,但是爸爸支付不起手術費,所以我想用我自己的錢。”
“How much do you have?” asked the man from Chicago.
“你有多少錢?”這個從芝加哥來的男人問。
“One dollar and eleven cents,” Tess answered barely audibly.
“一美元十一美分,”苔絲用很勉強才能聽到的聲音回答。
“And it's all the money I have, but I can get some more if I need to.”
“這是我所有的錢,但是如果不夠的話我再想辦法?!?/div>
“Well, what a coincidence,” smiled the man.
“剛剛好,”男人笑著說,
“A dollar and eleven cents — the exact price of a miracle for little brothers.
“一美元十一美分 —— 正好可以為你弟弟買個奇跡。”
“He took her money in one hand and with the other hand he grasped her mitten and said “Take me to where you live.
他一手拿著小女孩的錢一手緊緊握住她的手說“帶我去你住的地方。
I want to see your brother and meet your parents. Let's see if I have the kind of miracle you need.”
我想去看看你弟弟和你的父母,看看我是不是有你們需要的奇跡?!?/div>
That well-dressed man was Dr. Carlton Armstrong, a surgeon, specializing in neurosurgery.
這個穿著得體的男人就是卡爾頓?阿姆斯壯,著名的神經外科醫生。
The operation was completed without charge and it wasn't long until Andrew was home again and doing well.
手術沒有支付任何費用,安德魯回家后不久就康復了。
Mom and Dad were happily talking about the chain of events that had led them to this place.
爸爸和媽媽高興地談論著這件事情。
“That surgery,” her Mom whispered, “was a real miracle. I wonder how much it would have cost?”
“這個手術真的是個奇跡,奇跡到底需要多少錢呢?”母親低聲自語。
Tess smiled. She knew exactly how much a miracle cost... one dollar and eleven cents ... plus the faith of a little child.
苔絲笑了,她知道奇跡的真正價值:一美元十一美分,加上一個小女孩的信念。
重點單詞 | 查看全部解釋 | |||
pharmacist | ['fɑ:məsist] |
想一想再看 n. 藥劑師,藥商 |
聯想記憶 | |
miracle | ['mirəkl] |
想一想再看 n. 奇跡 |
聯想記憶 | |
surgery | ['sə:dʒəri] |
想一想再看 n. 外科,外科手術,診所 |
||
coincidence | [kəu'insidəns] |
想一想再看 n. 巧合,同時發生 |
||
surgeon | ['sə:dʒən] |
想一想再看 n. 外科醫生 |
||
mitten | ['mitn] |
想一想再看 n. 連指手套,露指手套 |
聯想記憶 |