For some, this widening of the net is just
對一些人來說 受眾范圍的擴大
symptomatic of the way the pharmaceutical industry is moving.
正代表了醫藥工業的前進方向
From about 20 years ago or so,
大約在二十年前
they moved from trying to produce drugs
他們開始從研發針對特定疾病的藥物
that treated real illnesses to drugs that treated risk factors.
轉向預防疾病的藥物
Even those who soundly believe in the
即使是一些堅信抑制素療效的人
benefits of statins are wary of how medicine is changing.
也對醫療產業的快速變化持謹慎態度
In decades gone by, you would be assessed by your doctor.
過去的幾十年里 你的病情由醫生診斷
You'd tell him your symptoms,
你告訴他你的癥狀
he'd do the examinations, he'd do the lab tests
他會做檢查 做相關測試
and then you'd get the prescription and only then,
然后你才會得到處方
whereas now the idea seems to
但現在的理念成了
be that "You're alive, you're breathing, you're 52".
只要你活著 你到了一定年紀
You'd better start taking
你最好就要開始吃抑制素
the statins to lower your cholesterol level,
來降低膽固醇含量
"Not because it's good for you but because
不是因為這對你有好處
it's good for everybody and you are part of everybody."
而是對所有人都有好處 你也在其中
Now that must be a drug company's dream,
這一定是制藥公司的夢想
because if you've got a
因為如果你有一種藥物
pill that's not designed to treat sick people
其受眾并不是患病的人群
but a pill that's designed for everybody,
而是所有人