Now there's a project that I'm initiating at the moment that I'm very excited about and wanted to share with you,because it is all about changing perceptions,and, indeed, building a new level of trust.
有個我發起的項目我很想跟諸位分享,因為它能讓我們拋棄成見,建立新層次的信任。
The youngest of my children was born with cerebral palsy,which as you can imagine,if you don't have an experience of it yourself,is quite a big thing to take on board.
我最小的孩子生下來是腦癱,你可以想像,如果自己沒有親身經歷過很難接受這樣的事實。
But the gift that my gorgeous daughter has given me,aside from her very existence,is that it's opened my eyes to a whole stretch of the community that was hitherto hidden,the community of disabled people.
但是我美好的小女兒帶給我的禮物,不僅是她的存在,更是重要的是我由此開始接觸一個迄今為止都不了解的群體,殘疾人群體。
And I found myself looking at the Paralympics and thinking how incredible,how technology's been harnessed to prove beyond doubt that disability is no barrier,to the highest levels of sporting achievement.
當我觀看殘奧會,想著科技已經證明殘疾不再是,高水平體育成就的障礙。
Of course there's a grimmer side to that truth,which is that it's actually taken decades for the world at large to come to a position of trust,to really believe that disability and sports can go together in a convincing and interesting fashion.
當然這個事實有著慘淡的另一面,就是世界用了數十年才認識到這個事實的積極一面,相信殘疾和體育可以以強大說服力和有趣的方式并存。
So I find myself asking:
我問道:
where is music in all of this?
音樂在這其中是什么位置?
You can't tell me that there aren't millions of disabled people,in the U.K. alone,with massive musical potential.
你不能否認,僅僅在英國,就有上百萬的殘疾人,他們具備巨大的音樂潛能。
So I decided to create a platform for that potential.
所以我決定為這潛質提供一個平臺。
It's going to be Britain's first ever national disabled orchestra.
這將是英國第一個殘疾人樂團。
It's called Paraorchestra.
叫做帕拉樂團。
I'm going to show you a clip now of the very first improvisation session that we had.
我將給你們看一段我們的第一個即興作品的視頻。
It was a really extraordinary moment.
那是個非同尋常的時刻。
Just me and four astonishingly gifted disabled musicians.
我和四個極具天賦的殘疾人音樂家。
Normally when you improvise and I do it all the time around the world there's this initial period of horror,like everyone's too frightened to throw the hat into the ring,an awful pregnant silence.
通常即興創作的時候,我在世界各地這么做,開始的時候有點恐懼,就像決定參加比賽前誰都會被嚇壞,那種嚇人的寂靜。
Then suddenly, as if by magic, bang! We're all in there and it's complete bedlam. You can't hear anything.
接著突然地,像奇跡一般,我們都像著魔了一樣,你什么都聽不到。
No one's listening. No one's trusting.
沒有人在聽 沒有人信任其他人。
No one's responding to each other.
沒人應和其他人。
Now in this room with these four disabled musicians,within five minutes a rapt listening, a rapt response and some really insanely beautiful music.
這個屋子里的四位殘疾音樂家,將在五分鐘內以全神貫注的傾聽和回應創造令人瘋狂的每秒音樂。
My name's Nicholas McCarthy.
我叫尼古拉斯麥卡錫。
I'm 22, and I'm a left-handed pianist.
我22歲,是個左手鋼琴家。
And I was born without my left hand-right hand.
我生下來就沒有左手-右手。
Can I do that one again?
我能不能重來啊?
When I'm making music,I feel like a pilot in the cockpit flying an airplane.
當我創作音樂的時候,我感覺想飛機座艙里的飛行師。
I become alive.
重生了一般。
I would rather be able to play an instrument again than walk.
在能夠演奏和能夠走路之間我寧愿選擇能演奏樂器。
There's so much joy and things I could get from playing an instrument and performing.
彈奏和表演對我來說無比有趣。
It's removed some of my paralysis.
像治愈了我的殘疾。