'You have changed. We promised to marry a long time ago, when we were both poor, and happy to be poor.
“你已經變了。在很久以前當我們都還很窮但又窮得快樂的時候我們就許諾過要結婚。
I have stayed the same, but you have different hopes and dreams now.
我一直沒改變想法,但你現在有了不同的希望和理想。
I loved the man that you used to be, but I know that you do not wish to marry me any more.
我愛的是過去的你,但我知道你不再想娶我了,
So I've come to tell you that you're free.
所以我來是想告訴你你自由了。
Be happy in the life that you've chosen!' And she left him.
祝你在你自己選擇的道路上幸福生活!”她離開了他。
'Spirit!' cried Scrooge. 'Show me no more! Take me home! This is too painful!'
“幽靈!”斯克羅吉大聲說,“別再讓我看下去了!帶我回家吧!這太痛苦了!”
'One shadow more!' said the ghost.
“還有一個影子!”鬼魂說。
'No more!' cried Scrooge. 'I don't wish to see any more!'
“一個也不要再看了!”斯克羅吉高聲喊道。“我不想再看了!”
But the spirit held his arms, and he could not escape.
但幽靈抓住他的胳膊,所以他無法逃脫。
Now they were in another place, in a room which was not very large, but comfortable.
現在他們來到了另一個地方,一個不是很大但非常舒適的房間里。
Near the fire sat a beautiful young girl.
火邊坐著一位漂亮的年輕姑娘。
Scrooge thought she was the girl that he had just seen, until he saw her, now a good-looking married lady, sitting opposite her daughter.
斯克羅吉想她就是剛才看到過的女孩,到他見到她時,她已是一位漂亮的已婚婦女了,她坐在女兒的對面。
The room was full of children, and noise, and shouting, and laughing.
房間里都是孩子,滿屋子吵鬧聲、喊叫聲和笑聲。
Just then the door opened, and the father entered, carrying a great pile of Christmas presents.
這時門開了,父親抱著一大摞圣誕禮物走了進來。
The noise became twice as loud, as the children received their presents with delight, and kissed their father gratefully.
當孩子們高興地拿到禮物時,吵鬧聲比剛才高了一倍,他們充滿感激地吻了父親。
Finally, the younger ones went upstairs to bed, and Scrooge watched more sadly than ever, as the father sat down with his loving daughter and her mother by the fire.
最后,小點兒的孩子們上樓睡覺去了。斯克羅吉比往常更加傷心地看著,父親同他可愛的女兒及妻子在火爐旁坐下。
'Belle,' said the husband, turning to his wife with a smile, 'I saw an old friend of yours this afternoon. Guess who?
“貝爾,”丈夫說著把臉轉向妻子,面帶微笑。“我今天下午看見了你的一位老朋友,你猜他是誰?
Mr Scrooge! He was sitting alone in his office.
斯克羅吉先生!他正獨自一人坐在他的辦公室里。
His partner is dying, and I don't think he has any other friends.'
他的合伙人快要死了,我認為他再沒有別的朋友了。”
'Spirit!' said Scrooge in a broken voice. 'Take me away from this place.'
“幽靈!”斯克羅吉用顫抖的聲音說。“帶我離開這個地方吧。”
'These are shadows of the things that happened in the past,' said the ghost.
“這都是過去所發生的事情的影子,”鬼魂說,
'You chose the life that you preferred, so why cry now?'
“你選擇了你喜歡的生活,現在干嘛要哭呢?”
'I can't watch any more! It's too awful! Leave me alone, spirit!'
“我不能再看下去了!太可怕了!幽靈,讓我一個人呆著吧!”
And Scrooge, noticing that the ghostly light was burning high and bright, suddenly took the extinguisher, and pushed it down hard on the spirit's head.
當斯克羅吉看到鬼火高高地明晃晃地照著時,他突然奪下滅火器,重重地放在了幽靈的頭上。
But although it covered the ghost's head and body, Scrooge could not hide the light, which continued to shine out strongly from underneath.
但盡管它蓋住了鬼魂的頭和身體,斯克羅吉還是蓋不住它身上的光,那光依舊從下面強烈地放射出來。
Now Scrooge found himself back in his own bedroom again.
現在斯克羅吉發現他又回到了自己的臥室。
Feeling very tired, he climbed into bed and at once fell into a deep, heavy sleep.
感覺非常疲勞,他爬上床立刻就進入了沉睡的夢鄉。