You might be wondering why I'm wearing sunglasses, and one answer to that is, because I'm here to talk about glamour.
你可能會疑惑為什么我戴著太陽鏡,其中的一個答案就是因為我今天的主題是魅力。
So, we all think we know what glamour is. Here it is.
所以,我們都認為自知什么叫做魅力。大家請看。
It's glamorous movie stars, like Marlene Dietrich.
是非常有魅力的影星,比如瑪琳·黛德麗。
And it comes in a male form, too very glamorous.
也有男性非常迷人。
Not only can he shoot, drive, drink you know, he drinks wine, there actually is a little wine in there and of course, always wears a tuxedo.
不僅僅因為他可以射擊,開車-你知道,他是喝酒的,事實上他的旁邊總是伴隨著酒香,當然,他總是一副紳士模樣。
But I think that glamour actually has a much broader meaning one that is true for the movie stars and the fictional characters,but also comes in other forms.
不過我認為魅力實際上有更為廣泛的含義。其中一部分(當然)那些電影明星和小說人物所展現出來的但也有其他的表達方式。
A magazine?
雜志?
Well, it's certainly not this one.
不過,當然不是這本。
This is the least glamorous magazine on the newsstand-it's all about sex tips.
這是新標準下魅力值最低的雜志--里面充斥著性愛技巧。
Sex tips are not glamorous.
性愛技巧并不具備魅力。
And Drew Barrymore, for all her wonderful charm, Drew Barrymore,is not glamorous either.
她所有的迷人之處,也談不上具有魅力。
But there is a glamour of industry.
但是卻存在著一個魅力產業。。
This is Margaret Bourke-White's one of her pictures she did.
這個是 Margaret Bourke-White的其中的一幅作品。
Fantastic, glamorous pictures of steel mills and paper mills and all kinds of glamorous industrial places.
美妙的,迷人的圖片展現著鋼鐵廠,造紙廠和各種充滿魅力的工業場所。
And there's the mythic glamour of the garage entrepreneur.
這個是車庫經理人的神話般的魅力。
This is the Hewlett-Packard garage.
這是惠普當初起家的車庫。
We know everyone who starts a business in a garage ends up founding Hewlett-Packard.
我們知道任何一個從車庫起家的創業者最終都成了惠普的融資人。
There's the glamour of physics.
這是物理學的魅力。
What could be more glamorous than understanding the entire universe,grand unification? And, by the way, it helps if you're Brian Greene he has other kinds of glamour.
還有什么能比洞察整個宇宙,偉大的統一更加。具有魅力呢--而且,順便提一下,如果你是Brian Greene這很有用。他還有很多其他類型的魅力。
And there is, of course, this glamour.
當然,這種,魅力。
This is very, very glamorous: the glamour of outer space and not the alien-style glamour, but the nice, clean, early '60s version.
這是,非常非常迷人的--外太空的魅力。而且并不是外星人式的魅力。而是美好,干凈,60年代初期的樣子。
So what do we mean by glamour?
那么到底什么叫做魅力?
Well, one thing you can do if you want to know what glamour means is you can look in the dictionary.
當然,如果想了解魅力的含義,你可以做的一件事情就是查看字典。
And it actually helps a lot more if you look in a very old dictionary, in this case the 1913 dictionary.
而且事實上如果你去查閱很古老的字典會很有用,在這種情況下,這是1913版的字典。
Because for centuries, glamour had a very particular meaning,and the word was actually used differently from the way we think of it.
因為時代變遷,魅力會相應的有著其特定的含義,而且這個詞匯實際上和我們設想的方式是截然不同的。
You had "a" glamour.
你很有魅力。
It wasn't glamour as a quality-you "cast a glamour."
這并不是說它是一種品質--你可以將其拋開。
Glamour was a literal magic spell.
魅力是一種字面意義上的魔力咒符。
Not a metaphorical one, the way we use it today,but a literal magic spell associated with witches and gypsies and to some extent, Celtic magic.
而不是今天我們所使用的,隱喻的方式。而是一種和女巫、吉普賽人緊密聯系在一起的魔力咒符。而且在某種程度上,可以是凱爾特魔法。
And over the years, around the turn of the 20th century, it started to take on this other kind of deception.
而且這么多年來,在20世紀的轉交之際,魅力開始呈現出一點其他類型的戲法。
this definition for any artificial interest in, or association with,an object through which it appears delusively magnified or glorified.
這種解釋是任何有關人的對某種實體的興趣或者聯系,通過它可以呈現出被放大或者渲染過的迷惑。
But still, glamour is an illusion.
但是,魅力仍是是一種幻覺。
Glamour is a magic spell.
魅力是一種魔力咒符。
And there's something dangerous about glamour throughout most of history. When the witches cast a magic spell on you, it was not in your self-interest.
而且關于魅力有一些危險的地方人類歷史的大部分情況下,當女巫對你拋出一個不符合你自身利益的魔力咒符。
it was to get you to act against your interest.
它就會使你做出違背自己意愿的事情。