背后小故事: 2006年9月,5位大一新生從云南,黑龍江,福建,江蘇來到西安;陌生的他們在同一個宿舍5A-216相識,一起度過了4年的大學生活。回憶起來,臥談會討論女生,集資買洗衣機,一起出游等場景仍歷歷在目。如今,寢室兄弟們已天各一方,在北京,西安,威海,萬里之外的尼日利亞,為各自的學業和事業打拼。生活不容易,對于我們事業剛起步的年輕人更是如此。然而,對于我們,工作并不是生命的全部。家庭,是你停靠的港灣;健康,是你拼搏的資本;朋友,是你依靠的肩膀;心靈,是你力量的源泉。希望通過這篇文章,我們一起讀懂生命這門哲學。
Five Balls of Life by Brian Dyson
Imagine life as a game in which you are juggling some five balls in the air.
想象生命是一場不停丟擲五個球于空中的游戲。
You name them-work, family, health, friends and spirit and you're keeping all of these in the air.
這五個球分別是工作、家庭、健康、朋友和心靈,你很努力地擲著這五個球,不讓它們落地。
You will soon understand that work is a rubber ball.
很快你就會了解工作是一個橡皮球,
If you drop it, it will bounce back.
如果你不幸失手落下它,它還會彈回來的。
But the other four balls-family, health, friends and spirit are made of glass.
但是家庭、健康、朋友和心靈這四個球是用玻璃做成的。

If you drop one of these, they will be irrevocably scuffed, marked, nicked, damaged or even shattered.
一旦你失手落下,它們可能會少了一角,留下無法挽回的記號、刻痕、損壞甚至碎落一地。
They will never be the same.
它們將無法再像以前那樣。
You must understand that and strive for balance in your life.
你必須了解這個道理,并且為了平衡你的生命而努力。
How?
怎樣?
Don't undermine your worth by comparing yourself with others.
別拿自己和他人比較,這只會降低你的價值。
It is because we are different that each of us is special.
因為我們都是獨一無二的,因為我們每一個人都很特別。
Don't set your goals by what other people deem important.
別人認為重要的事不一定是你的目標。
Only you know what is best for you.
只有你自己知道什么是最適合你的。
Don't take for granted the things closest to your heart.
不要將貼近你的心的人、事物視為理所當然。

Cling to them as they would be your life, for without them, life is meaningless.
你必須將他們視為生命一般,認真對待。因為沒有他們,生命將失去意義。
Don't let your life slip through your fingers by living in the past or for the future.
別讓你的生命總是在依戀過去的種種或是在未來的寄望中逝去。
By living your life one day at a time, you live all the days of your life.
如果你活在每個當下,那就活好你生命中的每一天。
Don't give up when you still have something to give.
當你還能給予的時候就別輕言放棄。
Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
只要你不放棄,就有無限延伸的可能。
Don't be afraid to admit that you are less than perfect.
別害怕承認你并不完美。
It is this fragile thread that binds us each together.
正因如此,我們才得以藉由這猶絲脆弱緊密地綁在一起。
Don't be afraid to encounter risks.
遇到危險時別害怕。

It is by taking chances that we learn how to be brave.
正因如此,我們才得以藉由這些機會學習勇敢。
Don't shut love out of your life by saying it's impossible to find.
另以愛太難尋找作為借口而緊閉你的心扉。
The quickest way to receive love is to give it;
最迅速找到愛的方法就是給予你的愛;
the fastest way to lose love is to hold it too tightly;
最快速失去愛的方法就是緊緊地守著你的愛。
and the best way to keep love is to give it wings.
維持愛的最快好方式就是給愛一雙翅膀。
Don't run through life so fast that you forget not only where you've been, but also where you are going.
不要匆忙地度過你的一生,那匆忙讓你忘了曾經到過哪里,也讓你忘了你要去哪里。
Don't forget that a person's greatest emotional need is to feel appreciated.
別忘記,人類情感上最大的需要是感恩。
Don't be afraid to learn.
不要害怕學習。

Knowledge is weightless, a treasure you can always carry easily.
知識沒有重量,它是可以隨身攜帶的珍寶。
Don't use time or words carelessly.
別漫不經心地蹉跎光陰或口無遮攔。
Neither can be retrieved.
時間與言詞兩者都是一放就收不回來的。
Life is not a race, but a journey to be savored each step of the way.
生命不是一場賽跑,而是一步一個腳印的旅程。
Yesterday is history.
昨天已成歷史。
Tomorrow is a mystery.
明天還是未知。
Today is a gift:
而今天則是上天的恩賜
That's why we call it The Present.
因此,我們才稱今天為“現在”。