It was named after the platoon medic.
這曾是一個野戰排醫療兵的名字。
that had been killed about two months into the deployment.
他在戰地工作兩個月后就犧牲了。
It was a few plywood B-huts clinging to a side of a ridge,and sandbags, bunkers, gun positions, and there were 20 men up there of Second Platoon, Battle Company.
所謂的哨站就是幾個膠合板搭建的兵舍。靠著山脊的一側而建還有沙袋、掩體和火力點。那里總共有20個人隸屬戰地連第二排。
I spent most of my time up there.
我在那兒度過了很長的時間。
There was no running water. There was no way to bathe. The guys were up there for a month at a time.
沒有自來水。沒法洗澡。士兵們在那兒一待就要待一個月。
They never even got out of their clothes.
從來沒脫過衣服。
They fought. The worked.
不管是戰斗、執行任務。
They slept in the same clothes.
還是睡覺,都穿著同樣的衣服。
They never took them off, and at the end of the month, they went back down to the company headquarters, and by then, their clothes were unwearable.
他們從來不脫衣服,等到月底他們被換下來回到大本營時。身上的衣服都不能穿了。
They burned them and got a new set.
他們就把衣服燒掉,再領一身新的。
There was no Internet. There was no phone.
那兒也沒法上網,沒有電話。
There was no communication with the outside world up there.
與外界完全失去聯系。
There was no cooked food.
沒有現做的食物。
There was nothing up there that young men typically like:no cars, no girls, no television, nothing except combat.
沒有任何年輕人可以喜歡的東西。沒車,沒妞,沒電視,什么都沒有。除了戰爭。
Combat they did learn to like.
于是他們慢慢喜歡上了戰爭。
I remember one day, it was a very hot day in the spring, and we hadn't been in a fight in a couple of weeks, maybe.
我記得有次,一個大熱天。還是春天,當時我們都已經閑了大概好幾個星期了。
Usually, the outpost was attacked, and we hadn't seen any combat in a couple of weeks, and everyone was just stunned with boredom and heat.
通常,哨站會遭遇襲擊。但是當時已經有幾周沒有襲擊了。每個人都感到暈暈的又無聊又熱。
And I remember the lieutenant walking past me,sort of stripped to the waist.
然后我記得一個中尉從我身邊走過光著上半身。
It was incredibly hot.
因為當時太熱太熱了。
Stripped to the waist, walked past me muttering, Oh God, please someone attack us today.
他光著膀子走過,說天哪,來次襲擊吧。
That's how bored they were.
他們真是無聊到不行了。
That's war too, is a lieutenant saying, Please make something happen because we're going crazy.
但這也是戰爭的一部分,就像一個中尉說:給我們點事兒干吧。我們這就要瘋了。
To understand that,
要理解他們的想法。
you have to, for a moment, think about combat not morally.
你必須臨時從非道德的角度思考一下戰爭。
that's an important job to do.
這很重要。
but for a moment, don't think about it morally, think about it neurologically.
只是臨時地,不從道德的角度。而是神經學的角度。
Let's think about what happens in your brain when you're in combat.
大家現在想一下。當你身處在戰爭中時,你腦子里會想些什么。
First of all, the experience is very bizarre, it's a very bizarre one.
首先,這種經歷是很奇怪的,非常非常奇怪。
It's not what I had expected.
我之前從來沒有想到過。
Usually, you're not scared.
通常你不會感到害怕。
I've been very scared in combat,
我曾經害怕過。
but most of the time when I was out there, I wasn't scared.
但大多數時候我在那兒是不感到害怕的。
I was very scared beforehand.
去之前害怕過。
and incredibly scared afterwards, and that fear that comes afterwards can last years.
回來之后也后怕。這種后怕能持續幾年的時間。
I haven't been shot at in six years, and I was woken up very abruptly this morning.
我已經有6年的時間沒暴露在槍林彈雨細下了。但是今天早上我猛然的驚醒。
by a nightmare that I was being strafed by aircraft, six years later.
就是因為我夢到我被戰機掃射。這都過了6年了。
I've never even been strafed by aircraft, and I was having nightmares about it.
我從沒被戰機掃射過,但做夢卻夢到了。
Time slows down.
時間慢了下來。
You get this weird tunnel vision.
你的視角變得狹窄。
You notice some details very, very, very accurately.
能異常敏銳地注意到細枝末節的事情。
and other things drop out.
對其他事情置之不理。
It's almost a slightly altered state of mind.
這種思維方式可以說起了一定的變化。
What's happening in your brain is you're getting an enormous amount of adrenaline.
你的大腦由于異常多的腎上腺素而受到過多刺激。
pumped through your system.
這些刺激擴散到整個體內。