重點講解:
1. trade-off
權衡;協調;交易;交換;
eg. The newspaper's headline indicates that there was a trade-off at the summit.
報紙的大字標題表明峰會上大家作出了妥協。
eg. There is inevitably a trade-off with international organisations between speed and legitimacy.
對于國際組織而言,它們不可避免地會在速度與合法性之間進行權衡。
2. be familiar with
熟悉;熟知;
eg. We won't go wrong, because I'm quite familiar with the streets here.
我們不會走錯路的,因為我對這兒的街道非常熟悉。
eg. I am not familiar with his character.
我不了解他的性格。
3. split up
拆分;(把…)分成若干較小部分;
eg. Even though museums have begged to borrow her collection, she could never split it up.
盡管已有博物館請求借用她的收藏品,但她永遠不會將藏品分開展出。
eg. Any thought of splitting up the company was unthinkable they said.
他們說,任何將公司拆分開的想法都是不能接受的。
4. look up
查找;
eg. I looked your address up in the personnel file.
我在人事檔案里找到了你的地址。
eg. I'll look up the number for you.
我將替你找到這個電話號碼。
5. kind of
稍微;有幾分;有點兒;
eg. It was kind of sad, really.
有點兒讓人難過,真的。
eg. I'm feeling kind of tired.
我感到有點累。
背景資料:
2005年10月26日,Facebook創始人馬克·扎克伯格(Mark Zuckerberg)在美國斯坦福大學發表公開演講,講述了Facebook的成長故事。談到Facebook的企業文化時,扎克伯格表示,非正式化制度是Facebook的特點之一。為了給員工提供快樂而舒適的辦公氛圍,公司鼓勵無拘無束的交流方式,以保證創意的不斷迸發。
扎克伯格說,自己經常引導員工學習共處,幫助他們熟悉其他員工的思維邏輯,從而實現有效交流。扎克伯格認為,要尊重員工的點子,并在充分信任的基礎上授權員工去實踐。在他看為,正是這種看似無序的企業文化,使Facebook得以保持創新力并持續發展。
名人經典:
We tried to be as academic about this as possible in trying to think rigorously through the different results that we'll get if we go to different directions. But a lot of it is just like you define your objectives, what you're going for.
我們一直努力以最美術的態度去謹慎地思考不同方式所能產生的不同結果。但多數時候,你得先確定你的目標,你要的是什么。