"I think you should let me go alone," I said even more quietly.
“我想你得讓我一個人開車。”我更加平靜地說道。
He heard that.
他聽到了。
"Bella, please just do this my way, just this once," he said between clenched teeth.
“貝拉,求你了,按我說的去做,就這一次。”他咬緊了牙關,擠出這句話。
"Listen, Charlie's not an imbecile," I protested. "If you're not in town tomorrow, he's going to get suspicious."
“聽著,查理不是白癡。”我竭力主張道。“如果明天你也不在鎮上了,他會起疑心的。”
"That's irrelevant. We'll make sure he's safe, and that's all that matters."
“這毫不相干。我們會確保他的安全,這就夠了。”
"Then what about this tracker? He saw the way you acted tonight. He's going to think you're with me, wherever you are."
“那追獵者怎么辦?他看見了你今晚的表現。他會認為不管你在那里,你都會和我在一起。”
Emmett looked at me, insultingly surprised again. "Edward, listen to her," he urged. "I think she's right."
艾美特看著我,再次露出幾近侮辱的驚訝的神情。“愛德華,聽她的。”他催促著。“我認為她是對的。”
"Yes, she is," Alice agreed.
“是的,她是對的。”愛麗絲贊同道
"I can't do that." Edward's voice was icy.
“我不能這樣做。”愛德華的聲音很冷淡。
"Emmett should stay, too," I continued. "He definitely got an eyeful of Emmett."
“艾美特也得留下。”我繼續說道。“他顯然會好好看著艾美特。”
"What?" Emmett turned on me.
“什么?”艾美特轉頭看著我。
"You'll get a better crack at him if you stay," Alice agreed.
“如果你留下來的話,你能更好地對他的行動做出反應。”愛麗絲贊同道。
Edward stared at her incredulously. "You think I should let her go alone?"
愛德華懷疑地盯著她。“你認為我應該讓她一個人走?”
"Of course not," Alice said. "Jasper and I will take her."
“當然不是,”愛麗絲說道。“賈斯帕和我會照看著她。”
"I can't do that," Edward repeated, but this time there was a trace of defeat in his voice. The logic was working on him.
“我不能這樣做。”愛德華重復道,但這一次他的話語里有著一絲敗北的味道。理智在他身上起作用了。
I tried to be persuasive. "Hang out here for a week —" I saw his expression in the mirror and amended "— a few days. Let Charlie see you haven't kidnapped me, and lead this James on a wild-goose chase. Make sure he's completely off my trail. Then come and meet me. Take a roundabout route, of course, and then Jasper and Alice can go home."
我試圖循循善誘。“你在這里閑逛個一周——”我從后視鏡里看見他的表情,立刻更正道。“——幾天。讓查理看到你沒有綁架我,還有讓那個詹姆斯徒勞地四處搜素。確保他完全得不到我的蹤跡。然后來見我。當然,路上得繞些道,然后賈斯帕和愛麗絲就可以回家了。”

《暮光之城》
與圖書題目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列別具匠心的封面設計則很好地傳達出了每本書內在的深遠寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅爾指出《暮色》封面上的蘋果代表“創世紀” 內善惡樹上的禁果。象征貝拉和愛德華之間人類與吸血鬼禁忌的愛戀。在書的開頭引用了“創世紀”217頁的內容:“只是分別善惡樹上的果子,你不可吃,因為你吃的日子必定死。”這同時也代表了貝拉如何分辨善惡——選擇是否吃下那顆禁忌的果實,這比喻了選擇跟愛德華在一起或遠離他。