They stared at me, stunned.
他們都震驚地看著我。
"It's not a bad idea, really." Emmett's surprise was definitely an insult.
“這主意不壞,真的?!卑捞氐捏@訝顯然有些傲慢無禮。
"It might work — and we simply can't leave her father unprotected. You know that," Alice said.
“這會有用的——我們只要不讓他父親脫離保護就行。你知道那種事?!睈埯惤z說道。
Everyone looked at Edward.
每個人都在看著愛德華。
"It's too dangerous — I don't want him within a hundred miles of her."
“這太危險了——我不想讓他接近她周圍方圓一百碼的地方?!?/p>
Emmett was supremely confident. "Edward, he's not getting through us."
艾美特自信得快要爆出來了?!皭鄣氯A,他不可能從我們這里通過?!?/p>
Alice thought for a minute. "I don't see him attacking. He'll try to wait for us to leave her alone."
愛麗絲思索了一分鐘。“我沒看見他采取進攻。他試圖等到我們離開,留下她一個人的時候。”
"It won't take long for him to realize that's not going to happen."
“用不了多久他就會意識到這不會發生的?!?/p>
"I demand that you take me home." I tried to sound firm.
“我請求你,帶我回家。”我試圖讓自己聽起來堅定些。
Edward pressed his fingers to his temples and squeezed his eyes shut.
愛德華用手指按住自己的鬢角,緊緊地閉上了雙眼。
"Please," I said in a much smaller voice.
“求你了?!蔽矣酶〉穆曇粽f道。
He didn't look up. When he spoke, his voice sounded worn.
他沒有抬頭。當他說話時,他的聲音聽起來很疲倦。
"You're leaving tonight, whether the tracker sees or not. You tell Charlie that you can't stand another minute in Forks. Tell him whatever story works. Pack the first things your hands touch, and then get in your truck. I don't care what he says to you. You have fifteen minutes. Do you hear me? Fifteen minutes from the time you cross the doorstep."
“不管那個追獵者有沒有看見,你今晚就得動身。你告訴查理,你不想在??怂苟啻粢环昼?。什么故事管用就跟他說什么。把你手邊的東西打包起來,然后回到卡車上。我不在乎他對你說什么。你有十五分鐘的時間。你聽見我說的話了嗎?從你踏上門階起,十五分鐘。”
The Jeep rumbled to life, and he spun us around, the tires squealing. The needle on the speedometer started to race up the dial.
越野車又隆隆地發動起來,他原地急轉,把我們都甩到了一旁,輪胎發出尖銳的摩擦聲。里程計上的指針開始飛快地劃過表盤。
《暮光之城》
與圖書題目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列別具匠心的封面設計則很好地傳達出了每本書內在的深遠寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅爾指出《暮色》封面上的蘋果代表“創世紀” 內善惡樹上的禁果。象征貝拉和愛德華之間人類與吸血鬼禁忌的愛戀。在書的開頭引用了“創世紀”217頁的內容:“只是分別善惡樹上的果子,你不可吃,因為你吃的日子必定死?!边@同時也代表了貝拉如何分辨善惡——選擇是否吃下那顆禁忌的果實,這比喻了選擇跟愛德華在一起或遠離他。