Chapter 2 Life in Lilliput
第2章 在利力浦特的生活
I was careful to behave as well as possible,to persuade the King to give me my freedom.
為了說服國王給我自由,我特別小心,盡可能表現得好些。
Lilliputians soon began to lose their fear of me.
利力浦特人很快就消除了他們對我的畏懼心。
They called me the Man-Mountain.
他們稱我為人山,
Sometimes I lay down and let them dance on my hand,and from time to time children came to play games in my hair.
有時我躺下,讓他們在我手上跳舞,孩子們偶爾到我的頭發里來做游戲。
By now I was able to speak their language well.
這時候,他們的話我已經能說得很好了。
One day the King invited me to watch the regular entertain-ments,which are greatly enjoyed by him,his family,and his lords and ladies.
有一天國王邀請我去看定期表演,這是他、他的家人、以及他的王公和貴婦們極為欣賞的。
I was most interested in the rope-dancing.
我對他們的繩舞特別感興趣。
A very thin rope is fixed thirty centimetres above the ground.
一條極細的繩子固定在離地30厘米的位置,
People who want to become the King's most important officials jump and dance on this rope,and whoever jumps highest with-out falling gets the best job.
想成為國王的重臣的人在繩上跳來跳去、手舞足蹈,跳得最高又不摔下來的人就會獲得最好的職位。
Sometimes the King orders his lords to dance on the rope,to show that they can still do it.
有時國王也叫王公到繩子上去舞蹈,以表明他們仍然能做。
This sport is,of course,rather dangerous,and there are occasional deaths as a result.
這種運動當然是相當危險的,因此死亡時有發生,
It seems a strange way of choosing of-ficials.
這似乎是一種古怪的選拔官員的法子。

關于《格列佛游記》
但是回到家中后,格列佛因為已經習慣了慧骃族良好的品質,而對家人的氣味有厭惡之意,便買了兩匹馬,天天與他們談心,安度晚年。