Finally the laughter dwindled and stopped.Ned was still on one knee, his eyes upraised.
當笑聲終止,奈德仍然單膝跪地,眼睛上揚。
"Damn it, Ned," the kingcomplained. "You might at least humor me with a smile."
“媽的,奈德,”國王抱怨,“你好歹也跟我一起笑一笑?”
"They say it grows so cold up here in winterthat a man's laughter freezes in his throat and chokes him to death," Ned saidevenly.
“有人說這里的冬天太冷,人若是笑了,聲音會凍結在喉嚨里,直到把人活活噎死,”奈德平靜地說,
"Perhaps that is why the Starks have so little humor."
“或許這就是為什么我們史塔克家人甚少有幽默感。”
"Come south with me, and I'll teach you howto laugh again," the king promised.
“跟我一起到南方去,我一定讓你再露笑顏,”國王向他保證。
"You helped me win this damnable throne,now help me hold it. We were meant to rule together.
“你既然幫我得到了這張該死的鐵椅子,就該幫我保住它吧。我們注定是要并肩治理國家的。
If Lyanna had lived, weshould have been brothers, bound by blood as well as affection.
倘若萊安娜還活著,我們現在就該是連姻手足,名副其實的兄弟了。
Well, it is nottoo late. I have a son. You have a daughter.
呵呵,好在現在也不遲,我有個兒子,你有個女兒。
My Joff and your Sansa shall joinour houses, as Lyanna and I might once have done."
我家小喬和你的珊莎會把兩家結合在一起,就好像當年的萊安娜和我。”
This offer did surprise him. "Sansa is onlyeleven."
這個提議卻真嚇了奈德一跳:“可珊莎才十一歲。”
Robert waved an impatient hand.
勞勃不耐煩地揮揮手。
"Old enoughfor betrothal. The marriage can wait a few years." The king smiled. "Now standup and say yes, curse you."
“已經大到可以訂婚啦,結婚等過幾年再說,”國王微笑。“你這渾球,還不快站起來說好。”
"Nothing would give me greater pleasure, Your Grace," Ned answered.
“陛下,這是至高無上的榮耀與喜樂,”奈德回答。
He hesitated. "These honors are all so unexpected. May I have some time to consider? I need to tell my wife..."
接著他露出遲疑。“可也太讓我措手不及,能否給我點時間考慮?我要告訴我妻子...”
"Yes, yes, of course, tell Catelyn, sleep onit if you must." The king reached down, clasped Ned by the hand, and pulled himroughly to his feet.
“好,好,當然沒問題,去跟凱特琳說罷,好好想清楚。”國王伸出手,拍了拍奈德的手,然后把他拉起來。
"Just don't keep me waiting too long. I am not the mostpatient of men."
“別教我等太久就是,你也知道我沒什么耐性。”
For a moment Eddard Stark was filled with aterrible sense of foreboding. This was his place, here in the north.
一時之間,艾德·史塔克心中充滿了一種山雨欲來的恐懼,畢竟寒冷的北國才是真正屬于他的故鄉。
He lookedat the stone figures all around them, breathed deep in the chill silence of thecrypt.
他看看四周石像,吸了口墓窖的冰冷空氣。
He could feel the eyes of the dead. They were all listening, he knew. And winter was coming.
他隱約可以感覺得出身旁歷代先祖的目光,他知道他們正側耳傾聽,他知道凜冬將至。