"How did you sleep?" he asked. I wondered if he had any idea how appealing his voice was.
“你睡得怎么樣?”他問道。我懷疑他是否知道自己的聲音是多么的動人。
"Fine. How was your night?"
“很好。你昨晚過得怎樣?”
"Pleasant." His smile was amused; I felt like I was missing an inside joke.
“很開心。”他的笑容很愉快。我感覺我錯過了一個秘密的笑話。
"Can I ask what you did?" I asked.
“我能問你做了什么嗎?”我問道。
"No." He grinned. "Today is still mine."
“不能。”他咧嘴一笑。“今天還是我的。”
He wanted to know about people today: more about Renée, her hobbies, what we'd done in our free time together. And then the one grandmother I'd known, my few school friends — embarrassing me when he asked about boys I'd dated. I was relieved that I'd never really dated anyone, so that particular conversation couldn't last long. He seemed as surprised as Jessica and Angela by my lack of romantic history.
他今天想了解別人的事:更多關于蕾妮的事,她的愛好,當我們空閑的時候我們一起做過的事。還有我記得的一位祖母,我寥寥無幾的在學校里的朋友——讓我困窘的是他居然問起了我約會過的男孩子。我很慶幸自己從沒真正地跟誰約會過,所以這個特別的對話沒有持續太久。他似乎和杰西卡還有安吉拉一樣驚訝于我在羅曼史方面的匱乏。
"So you never met anyone you wanted?" he asked in a serious tone that made me wonder what he was thinking about.
“所以你從沒遇見過你想要的人?”他用嚴肅的語氣問道,這讓我想知道他在想什么。
I was grudgingly honest. "Not in Phoenix."
我滿心不情愿地誠實答道。“在鳳凰城沒有。”
His lips pressed together into a hard line.
他的嘴唇緊緊地抿在一起,抿成了一條堅毅的線條。
We were in the cafeteria at this point. The day had sped by in the blur that was rapidly becoming routine. I took advantage of his brief pause to take a bite of my bagel.
此刻我們正在自助餐廳里。這一天又是在一陣模糊中過去了,這很快會變成例行公事的。我利用他短暫的停頓咬了一口硬面包圈。
"I should have let you drive yourself today," he announced, apropos of nothing, while I chewed.
“今天我必須讓你自己開車回去。”當我咀嚼的時候,他宣布,沒有提及任何理由。
"Why?" I demanded.
“為什么?”我詰問道。
"I'm leaving with Alice after lunch."
“午飯后我要和愛麗絲出去一下。
"Oh." I blinked, bewildered and disappointed. "That's okay, it's not that far of a walk."
“哦。”我眨了眨眼睛,既迷惑又失望。“沒關系,走回去不算太遠。”
《暮光之城》
與圖書題目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列別具匠心的封面設計則很好地傳達出了每本書內在的深遠寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅爾指出《暮色》封面上的蘋果代表“創世紀” 內善惡樹上的禁果。象征貝拉和愛德華之間人類與吸血鬼禁忌的愛戀。在書的開頭引用了“創世紀”217頁的內容:“只是分別善惡樹上的果子,你不可吃,因為你吃的日子必定死。”這同時也代表了貝拉如何分辨善惡——選擇是否吃下那顆禁忌的果實,這比喻了選擇跟愛德華在一起或遠離他。