Situation 19: Kevin's Parents get Ready for Bed
場景 19: 柯文的父母準備睡覺
It's been a long day.
好長的一天啊。
Let's turn in honey.
睡覺吧,親愛的。
Okay.
好。
What's wrong?
怎么了?
You look like you have something on your mind.
你看起來好象有心事。
Well, another year and our son will graduate and probably leave home for university.
恩,還有一年我們的兒子就要畢業了,可能會離開家上大學。
Oh! I don't even want to think about that.
哦!我甚至不愿意去想。
Well, you had better start.
你最好現在開始。
That day will come before you know it.
那天會在你知道前來到的。
Has Kevin indicated where he wants to go to school?
柯文表示過要在哪上學么?
I have a feeling he wants to go to an out of state college.
我感覺他想讀一所州外的大學。
Goodness!
天哪!
That means he will leave home and he all on his own.
也就是說他要離開家自己生活。
Yeah, and it also means
是的,也就是說
that his school expenses will be twice as high as in state school.
他的學費將是州立學校的兩倍。
Are we going to be able to afford that?
我們能負擔嗎?
How are the negotiations on that new contract at work coming along?
之后的工作合同是怎樣的?
The city has decided to expand that section of freeway
市里決定免費支付那部分費用,
that leads to the new international airport
會影響國際機場,
and it looks like our company is going to win the bidding for the construction contract.
看起來好象我們的公司會贏得那份建設和約。
That's great.
很好。
But what exactly does that mean for you?
但是這對你有什么意義呢?
Well, it looks like my division will get the assignment
看起來我有設計權了,
and it looks good for me to be in charge of design and engineering.
還有,看起來有利于我掌管設計和工程。
Why didn't you say something?
你為什么不說呢?
That's great!
那太棒了!
I want to wait until I was more or less certain.
我想等到我或多或少確定以后。
Anyway, if that happens,
不管怎樣,如果發生了,
we shouldn't have to worry about Kevin's school costs for the first year or two anyway.
我們不需要擔心柯文頭一年或兩年的學費了。
What do you mean the first year or two?
你說頭一兩年是什么意思?
What about the years after that?
以后怎么辦?
I would like to see the boy work for park of his college life
我要看看兒子處理大學生活
and be responsible for at least part of his school expenses.
和他為自己賺最少一部分學費的責任。
I thought you said we wouldn't have to worry about the money.
我認為你說我們不需要擔心錢。
Why don't we support him until he graduates?
為什么我們不支付到他畢業呢?
You know we will make sure that he has the support to finish university;
你知道我們要確定他有完成大學的支持力。
that's not the issue.
那不是經費的問題。
I think it would do him a lot of good to work part time
我想這能使他去做兼職,
to develope a sense of independence and responsibility.
并且培養他的獨立感和責任心。
I know you are right,
我知道你是對的,
but I just can't help but to feel protective
但是我沒有辦法,
when I think of my son living alone in a far off city.
當我想起我們的兒子住在離城市很遠的地方的時候我就感到要保護他。
Don't worry.
別擔心。
He's still our little boy for another year.
明年他仍然是我們的小孩。