Inspector Walsh put his hands behind his head.Jackie was very quiet.'What did your mother say?'
沃爾什探長把手放在腦后。杰基很平靜。“你的媽媽說些什么?”
Jackie opened her bag and looked for a cigarette.'Can I smoke?'
杰基打開包找了枝煙。“我可以抽嗎?”
'Of course.This is your house,'Inspector Walsh said.He watched Jackie.'What did your mother say?'he asked again.
“當然,這是你的家,”沃爾什探長說,他看著杰基。“你的媽媽說了些什么?”他又問。

“她又想下樓。她想起了狗——她想給它們弄點東西吃。我走回我的房間然后她下了樓。”
'What time was this?'
“這時幾點了?”
'I don't remember.About midnight,I think.'
“我記不清了。我想大概是午夜。”
'And the cup of hot milk?'
“那么那杯熱牛奶呢?”
'It was on the table by her bed.'
“它在她床邊的桌上。”
'Did you need your mother's money?'
“你需要你母親的錢嗎?”
'No,Inspector.Money is not important to me.There are more important things,'Jackie said quietly.
“不,探長。錢對我不重要。有比錢更重要的東西,”杰基平靜地說。
'Well,your uncle Albert wanted money.Tom Briggs wanted the garden.You wanted nothing?'
“嗯,你的艾伯特姨父要錢,湯姆·布里格斯想要花園。你什么也不想要?”
Jackie finished her cigarette and looked up at the Inspector.Her eyes were suddenly angry.'Don't forget Peter Hobbs.He lost his job because of my mother.He wanted to kill her,you know.And what about Diane?You found the empty bottle in her bag.'
杰基抽完煙抬頭看著探長。她的眼里突然冒著火氣。“別忘了彼特·霍布斯。是我媽媽使他丟了工作。你知道,他想殺她。還有黛安娜呢?你們在她包里發現了空瓶子。”
Inspector Walsh listened carefully.'We're going to question everyone,Miss Clarkson.'
沃爾什探長仔細聽著。“我們會對每個人提問,克拉克森小姐。”
Jackie said nothing for a minute.'Would you like some sandwiches and coffee,Inspector?'
杰基沉默了一會。“探長,你們要些三明治和咖啡嗎?”
'Ah!Yes,please!'Inspector Walsh said warmly.'I would like sandwiches and coffee very much.'
“哈!好,麻煩了!”沃爾什探長溫和地說。“我非常想要三明治和咖啡。”
Jackie left the room.Inspector Walsh thought about her.Why was she suddenly angry?The room was quiet.
杰基離開了房間。沃爾什探長想,她為什么突然生氣了?房間靜悄悄的。