Well, now, you're welcome, he mumbled, embarrassed by my thanks.
好啦,不必客氣了,他喃喃道,他讓我謝得不好意思了。
We exchanged a few more comments on the weather, which was wet, and that was pretty much it for Conversation.
我們聊了聊潮濕的天氣,這可不是什么可以讓人聊個沒完的話題。
We stared out the windows in silence.
接著,我們默默地看著窗外。
It was beautiful, of course, I could not deny that.
風景當然很漂亮,這一點我不能否認。
Everything was green: the trees, their trunks covered with moss, their branches hanging with a canopy of it, the ground covered with ferns.
放眼望去,滿眼皆綠:樹是綠色的,樹干上的苔蘚是綠色的,樹枝上濃密的樹葉是綠色的,地上的蕨類植物也是綠色的。
Even the air filtered down greenly through the leaves.
就連從樹葉之間濾下的空氣,也都染上了一層綠意。
It was too green, an alien planet.
太綠了——簡直是另外一個星球。
Eventually we made it to Charlie's.
終于,我們到了查理的家。
He still lived in the small, two bedroom house that he 'd bought with my mother in the early days of their marriage.
他還住在那套兩居的小房子里,是他跟我媽媽在結婚之初買下來的。
Those were the only kind of days their marriage had the early ones.
他們的婚姻也就僅有那么一段日子——新婚燕爾的那幾天。
There, parked on the street in front of the house that never changed, was my new, well, new to me, truck.
在他那一切如昨的房子前面,停著我的新卡車,對了,應該說是對我而言的新卡車。
It was a faded red color, with big, rounded fenders and a bulbous cab.
褪了色的紅色,圓圓大大的擋泥板,還有一個燈泡形狀的駕駛室。
To my intense surprise, I loved it.
大出我意料的是,我竟然很喜歡它。
I did not know if it would run, but I could see myself in it.
我不知道它開不開得走,但我能從它的身上看到我自己的影子。
Plus, it was one of those solid iron affairs that never gets damaged,
而且,它是那種結結實實,永遠也壞不了的鐵疙瘩,
the kind you see at the scene of an accident, paint unscratched, surrounded by the pieces of the foreign car it had destroyed.
就是你在車禍現場看到的那種結實玩意兒:自己身上漆都沒蹭掉一點兒,而周圍卻一片狼藉,全是毀在它手下的外國汽車的碎塊兒。
Wow, Dad, I love it, Thanks!
哇,謝謝爸爸,我非常喜歡它!
Now my horrific day tomorrow would be just that much less dreadful.
現在看來,我明天面臨的恐怖會大大地減輕了,
I would not be faced with the choice of either walking two miles in the rain to school or accepting a ride in the Chief's cruiser.
用不著在冒雨徒步走兩英里去上學和同意搭警長的巡邏車這兩者中做選擇了。
I'm glad you like it, Charlie said gruffly, embarrassed again.
我很高興你那么喜歡它。查理生硬地說道,又不好意思了。