As Robert was one day rambling about, he happened to cry out, "Ho, ho!"
有一天,羅伯特在外面閑逛,他突然大喊:“嗨,嗨!”
He instantly heard coming back from a hill near by, the same words, "Ho, ho!"
立刻,他就聽到附近山上傳來了同樣的聲音,“嗨,嗨!”
In great surprise, he said with a loud voice, "Who are you?"
更讓他大為吃驚的是,當他大聲說“你是誰”時,
Upon this, the same words came back, "Who are you?"
又傳來了同樣的聲音:“你是誰?”
Robert now cried out harshly, "You must be a very foolish fellow."
接著,羅伯特更加嚴厲地喊道:“你一定是個傻瓜。”
"Foolish fellow!" came back from the hill.
山谷中又傳回了同樣的聲音:“傻瓜!”
Robert became angry, and with loud and fierce words went toward the spot whence the sounds came.
羅伯特開始生氣了,用更大的聲音、更尖刻的話語沖著那個聲音的發源地大喊。
The words all came back to him in the same angry tone.
這些話語再次以同樣的憤怒聲調傳回到他的耳中。
He then went into the thicket, and looked for the boy who, as he thought, was mocking him;
接著,他跑進灌木叢中,到處去找那個自以為正在嘲笑自己的小男孩;
but he could find nobody anywhere.
但是,什么人也沒有看到。
When he went home, he told his mother that some boy had hid himself in the wood, for the purpose of mocking him.
回到家后,他對媽媽說,有些小男孩為了嘲笑他而隱藏在樹林里了。
"Robert," said his mother, "you are angry with yourself alone.
“羅伯特,”媽媽說,“你其實是在對自己生氣呢。”
You heard nothing but your own words.
除了你自己說的話之外,你并沒有聽到其他人說的話。
"Why, mother, how can that be?" said Robert.
羅伯特問:“為什么,媽媽,怎么可能呢?”
"Did you never hear an echo?" asked his mother.
他的媽媽回答說:“你難道從沒聽說過回聲?”
An echo, dear mother?
親愛的媽媽,這是回聲?
No, madam. What is it?
不,夫人。這究竟是怎么回事呢?
"I will tell you," said his mother.
媽媽對他說:“我來告訴你,”
You know, when you play with your ball, and throw it against the side of a house, it bounds back to you.
知道嗎,當你玩球時,對著房子的一面墻扔過去,它會再反彈回來,是吧。”
"Yes, mother," said he, "and I catch it again."
“是的,媽媽,”他說,“我會再次接住它。”