It's over here. Come on. He's still breathing.
在這邊,快點,他還有氣呢
Why ain't the sheriff come?
治安官怎么沒來
Detained by other business ma'am.
公務纏身,女士
Had the time when he was up for election didn't he?
當年拉票的時候可沒這么忙
He sent me along as soon as you called Mrs. Zeller.
您一報警他就馬上把我派來了,澤勒太太
Is you supposed to be qualified?
那你夠格嗎
I'm a trained officer of the law.
我是受訓的執法人員
He's under there.
他就在那邊
I was out crabbing. I came back through here.
我去撿海,回來時路過這兒
I saw him.
就看見了他
He waved his hand like he wanted me to join him.
他還沖我招手,像是叫我過去
Did he say anything?
他說什么了嗎
I didn't go near him.
我沒靠近
All manner of dark doings afoot.
有那么多齷蹉的事
At night there's voices moaning.
晚上有人哀嚎
Come daylight
等天亮了
you don't know what you'll find.
說不好能發現什么
Go.
去啊
Do your job.
盡你的本職
Misfortune or mayhem?
意外還是兇殺
It's a hog.
是頭豬
What?
什么
A hog.
是豬
A dead hog.
死豬
It ain't a murdered body?
不是被殺的人嗎
No ma'am.
不是
He waved me forward.
他還沖我招手呢
Must be his leg.
一定是腿
You gonna tell the sheriff?
你會上報治安官嗎
Most surely will.
當然
You don't know half of what goes on here.
你根本什么都不知道
Well you see anything suspicious
您看到可疑情況
you let me or Sheriff Lindsay know.
一定告訴我和琳賽先生
Who are you?
你是誰
I'm the deputy ma'am.
我是警官
You can ask for me Enoch Thompson.
找我就行,伊諾克?湯普森
You don't know what's going on.
你根本屁事不懂
Oh come on.
出來啊
Fucker.
他媽的
Oh fuck.
該死
What gives?
怎么回事
He's either wrestling an alligator
他不是在跟鱷魚搏斗
or he's still on the toilet.
就是還蹲在廁所上
Thought the powder was supposed to give you the runs.
我以為磕了粉會跑肚呢
My brother don't do nothing normal.
我哥哥什么都與人不同
Hello.
喂,
Cockroach! Cockroach!
蟑螂,蟑螂
Kill it! Kill it!
殺了它,殺了它
I got it.
我來吧
Any progress?
有進展嗎
"History doesn't repeat itself
"歷史不會重演,
but it does rhyme."
但會押韻"
Fuck does that mean?
什么意思
A riddle? Sounds like poetry.
謎語嗎,更像詩,
I call Nucky Thompson the other night.
我前天晚上打給了努基?湯普森
Tell him Luciano's gonna be gunning for him again.
跟他說盧西亞諾又要坑他了
That's his response.
他就這么回答我
Was he drunk? I mean if he's anything like his brother...
他喝醉了嗎,如果他跟他弟弟一樣
What do I think? It's a message.
要我說,那是信息
It's like a what do you call it?
你怎么說的來著
An omen. An omen.
預兆,預兆,
That we need to be on our toes.
我們得保持警惕
All that bullshit with the income taxes.
什么收入稅的鬼扯
What are you worried about? First they pinch Ralphie.
你擔心什么,他們先抓了拉爾菲,
Then they go after Jake. We're gonna beat it Al.
然后就會去抓杰克,兵來將擋,阿爾,
I mean fucking lawyers got them tied up in knots.
那些律師纏得他們死死的
So what? I'm supposed to just make it easy?
怎么,那我就不做反抗了嗎
Now the whole operation
不,我們整個生意
we've got to move it. How you mean?
我們得轉移,什么意思,
The books the cash all that to Cicero.
賬本,現金,都弄去西塞羅
Al you got any idea how hard that's gonna be? By tomorrow.
阿爾,你知道這多困難嗎,明天弄完,
Tomorrow?
明天
Why wait huh?
等什么呢
Get it out of here.
馬上弄走
What you got something better to do?
你有別的事要做嗎
No of course not.
當然沒有
That was Owney Madden.
奧尼?麥登找你
His friend's in town. The actor.
他朋友,那個演員來了
Wanted to stop by and say hello.
想順道過來見見你
They're gonna make a movie about me.
他們要拍部關于我的電影
You hear?
聽說了嗎
Fuck.
我去
It's hot in New York right?
紐約很熱,是嗎
The weather.
那里的天氣
Okay.
嗯,
Mr. Thompson?
湯普森先生
Mr. Doyle needs to see you straightaway in the office.
多伊爾先生請您馬上去辦公室
Who are you? Joe Harper sir.
你是誰,喬?哈珀,先生,
Mr. Doyle says it's urgent.
多伊爾先生說是急事
Take this down to the car.
把這件拿去車里
Yes sir.
是,先生
Has Ronis called back yet?
羅尼斯回電話了嗎
Well I'll leave you two to catch up.
我就不打擾二位敘舊了
I ain't carrying nothing.
我身上什么都沒有
Fella downstairs saw to that.
樓下的人搜過了
That wouldn't stop a man who's made up his mind.
那也攔不住一心一意的人
Something to reckon with.
是值得考慮
You letting that knocker run things now?
你讓那二貨管事了
Mickey?
米奇
His personality suits the operation.
他的性格適合這工作
This place worse than my old juke.
這地方比我以前的場子還糟
Times change.
時過境遷
You always find a way.
你總是有法子
Doesn't anyone drink anymore?
難道所有人都戒酒了嗎
I ain't come here for that.
我不是來喝酒的
What happened?
發生什么事了
Run with some boys for a while.
跟幾個小子跑了一陣子
Storefronts gas stations.
小店,加油站
One night they leave me ass in the wind.
有天他們就扔下我跑了
Can't say I ain't earned it.
也算是我自找的
Done some time.
蹲了一陣監獄
I heard you were still doing it.
我聽說你還在蹲呢
You wrong for once.
這件事你弄錯了
I'm sorry for all of it Chalky.
發生這么多事我很遺憾,朝琪
I ain't come here for no sympathy either.
我也不是來要你同情的
I don't know where Narcisse is. You could find him.
我不知道納西斯在哪,你找得到他,
That's not something that would do either of us any good.
找他對你我都沒好處
You can't say what's good for me.
對我有沒有好處,你說的不算
Your family moved to St. Louis years back.
你家人幾年前搬到圣路易斯
They're living under your wife's maiden name.
用你妻子的娘家姓
Knock on the door
我去敲門
they say welcome home.
他們會說"歡迎回家"嗎
You don't know what'll happen.
那誰知道
I'm a wanted man.
我是逃犯
Ain't stepped in daylight in more than a week.
整整一周沒敢白天出門了
Then you can stay here under protection.
那你可以留在這,有人保護
I owe you that.
這是我欠你的
There's no sense looking back.
盯著過去沒有意義
The only thing you can do is start again.
你唯一能做的就是從頭再來
I really believe that.
這是我的信條
We ain't schoolboys no more.
我們都不年輕了
We're not dead either.
我們也還沒行將就木
That leaves a lot of road in the middle.
沒死就還有很多路可走
Maybe you just don't see the end of it.
或許有路沒路你也看不出呢
I have an appointment in New York.
我約了人在紐約見面
I can't put it off.
沒法推脫
I want you to stay here.
我希望你留下
We'll work something out and hope for the best.
我們一起想辦法,抱最好的希望
Since when you so positive?
你幾時起這么樂觀了
I've always been this way.
我一直是這樣
Take it.
拿著
We ain't do no business.
我們不是做生意
This is between friends.
朋友間的饋贈
Just a second.
稍等
You had me worried sick.
你害我擔心死了
I've been waiting at the station.
我在車站等了好久
I overslept.
我睡過頭了
What the hell is this?
這是什么東西
Well I'm not positive but I think it's a baby.
我也不太確定,應該是個寶寶吧
Hello to you too.
也向你問好
When did
什么時候...
My last visit.
我上次來看你
Labor Day?
產期呢
I'm seven months along.
我七個月了
And you don't say a word?
你竟然一句都沒提
All the letters the phone calls.
那么多信件,通話
You're under enough pressure.
你的壓力夠大了
What could you have done?
你知道了又能做什么呢
It's not as if you'd be coming home is it?
你又回不了家,對吧
Doesn't matter.
沒關系
I'm happy.
我很高興
I'm very happy.
非常高興
You need to eat.
你得吃東西
Take care of your appearance.
打理一下自己
And cut down on the drinking.
少喝些酒
I'm not.
我沒喝
I mean I am.
我是說,我在戒
I'm trying hard. I'm doing it.
我很努力,我在戒酒
Really.
真的
And now that you're gonna
然后你又要...
I need you June.
我需要你,瓊
I need you to come out here
我需要你搬過來
and bring Dermott Kathleen.
帶上德莫特,凱瑟琳
They're not done growing up.
他們還沒長大
And now a baby.
馬上又要添一個
What about your brother?
你哥哥怎么辦
My life's got nothing to do with his.
我的生活與他無關
He wouldn't send the allowance anymore.
那他就不會再給贍養費了
I don't want you touching that money again.
我不想你再碰他的錢
I'm moving up the ladder.
我要出頭了
Best thing that ever happened to me.
一輩子沒有過的好機會
And we'd be together.
我們又能在一起了
It's a blessing.
這是恩賜
A chance to start over.
重新開始的機會
Not everyone gets that.
不是每個人都能有的
Are we eating at that awful chophouse?
我們要去那個難吃的小餐館嗎
No. No no.
不,不不
We're getting a homecooked meal.
我們今晚吃家宴
My partner invited us.
我的合伙人邀請了我們
His wife did. She wants to meet you.
他妻子邀請的,她想見你
Are you busy?
你忙嗎
What's wrong?
怎么了
Charlotte.
夏洛特
I don't have time. Read this.
我時間不多,讀讀這個
It explains everything. She's in here.
一切都在上面,她在這里,
Protect your fur.
保護好你的皮草
Come on Charlotte. No no no no.
來吧,夏洛特,不,不,不要,
No no no no. Don't take my teeth.
不,不,不,不要拔我的牙
No Martin loves my smile.
不,馬丁喜歡我的笑容
No! Wash it! Wash it!
不,洗呀洗呀,
I got her. Get the door.
我抓著她,去開門
Wash it. Wash it. Wash it. Wash it.
洗呀洗呀洗呀洗呀
Wash it. Wash it. Wash it. Wash it. Wash it. Wash it.
洗洗洗洗洗洗
Wash it. Wash it. Wash it.
洗干凈,洗干凈,洗干凈
Don't make sense.
說不通
Maranzano guaranteed your safety.
馬蘭扎諾承諾過會確保你的安全
He said I have nothing to fear. That's not the same thing.
他說我不必害怕,這可不是一個意思
Maybe Al got it wrong.
或許阿爾誤解了
Or Luciano was acting on his own.
或許盧西亞諾是自己在行動
He runs his mouth Charlie
查理雖然管不住嘴
but he still dances to Maranzano's tune.
但還是聽馬蘭扎諾的話
Not if Maranzano was dead.
馬蘭扎諾死了他就不必聽話了
Al said that too?
阿爾也是這么說的
I just told you he did.
我剛說完是他說的
Of course.
當然了
Fucking hearing loss.
聽力太他媽差了
Is Anne here?
安妮在這嗎
She's at bingo.
她去玩賓果游戲了
It's warm for this time of year.
今年這時候怎么這么熱
I had the fan on last night.
我昨晚風扇都沒關
Jeez my manners. What can I get you?
失禮了,你想喝點什么
Whatever you're drinking would be terrific.
你喝的這個就不錯
First thing Anne thinks of
客人一進屋
when someone walks into the house.
安妮馬上就會想到上飲品
The perfect hostess.
她太會待客了
Always tending to the domestic side.
家里的事總是處理得很妥當
Funny what we take for granted.
我們總是不知道珍惜
Like your health.
就像不珍惜健康一樣
Which is why you should retire.
所以你該退休了
You piss one of them off?
你惹到誰了嗎
Luciano or Lansky?
盧西亞諾或者蘭斯基
It's business John. I'm in the way.
這是生意,約翰,我礙事了
You hungry? I'll make you a cheese melt.
你餓了嗎,我給你做個烤乳酪面包
I'm fine thanks.
不用了,謝謝
What time you meeting Maranzano?
你什么時候跟馬蘭扎諾見面
at his restaurant.
七半點,在他的餐廳,7:30
I'll meet you over there.
我去那里找你
We'll get to the bottom of this.
我們來弄明白到底是怎么回事
I didn't mean to get you involved.
我沒想把你也卷進來
Hey we either friends or we ain't.
我們可是朋友
Obviously Luciano should not be present.
很顯然盧西亞諾不該出席
I'll call Maranzano beforehand.
我提前給馬蘭扎諾打電話
Lay it all out for him.
把事情跟他說一說
If nothing else he's a man of reason.
他也是個講理的人
You go out on that call this morning?
今早接到那個報警電話你去查了嗎
You were right about her.
她還真是你說的那樣
What'd she see this time? Body under the old Iron Pier.
她這次又看到什么了,舊碼頭下有具尸體,
And?
然后呢
Hog. Got washed away somehow.
一頭豬,被沖到了那里
Old biddy's had me jumping the last 20 years.
那個老太太過去20年沒少折騰我
Next time it'll be the Jersey Devil.
下次她就會說看到"澤西惡魔"了,傳說中的怪物
She is the Jersey Devil.
她就是"澤西惡魔"
That girl of yours Mabel?
你的那個姑娘,叫梅布爾嗎
Mrs. Lindsay approved.
琳賽夫人很喜歡她
And I defer to her in all such matters.
而且我也同意她的看法
I don't think her father does.
我覺得她父親不滿意
Of me I mean.
不滿意我
I'll vouch for your character.
我會為你的人品擔保
And your salary.
還有你的工資
Obliged to sort it out myself.
我還是自己解決吧
You ever eat at the Oyster House?
你在"牡蠣坊"吃過飯嗎
New place in Ducktown? Mighty dear.
達克鎮新開的那家嗎,貴得要命
That's the point.
正是如此
He treats me like I'm some beggar boy.
他把我當要窮小子來對待
I'm gonna sit down with him tonight
我今晚要和他坐下來
show him I
告訴他
Afternoon Pat. Mr. Halligan.
下午好,帕特,哈利根先生,
If it ain't the law west of the Pecos.
這不是"派克斯西律所"么
How's that?
怎么說
Catch the Rolling Chair Robber yet?
抓到"輪椅強盜"了嗎
I heard he snatched a lady's parasol
我聽說他在上帝和所有人面前
in front of God and everybody.
搶了一位夫人的傘
We're hot on his trail.
我們就快抓到他了
And little Ragged Dick.
還有這位"衣衫襤褸的迪克"(小說主人公)
How's the hat game these days?
最近帽子游戲玩得怎么樣了(小說情節)
Sailing right along sir.
還行吧,先生
You're a slick one.
你挺機靈的
Gentlemen.
失陪
It's us.
是我們
Come in.
進來
Lou. Leander.
盧,利安德
Have a cigar Jacob.
來根雪茄,雅各布
You too Deputy.
你也來一根,副治安官
Much obliged.
非常感謝
See our friend just now?
看到剛才那位朋友了嗎
Looked a bit out of joint.
看上去有點毛病
Had a...
他有個
proposal I guess you'd call it.
提議,應該可以叫做"提議"
What's that?
是什么
Mr. Halligan wishes to renegotiate
哈利根先生想要對一個
certain terms of a longstanding agreement.
長期合同的某些款項進行重新協商
Got the idea in his head that I'm beholden to him
他覺得我應該把我
for what I built with my own two hands.
一手建立起的東西讓給他
That won't hunt.
怎么可能
It's a goddamn squeeze from New York
這是紐約的人在壓榨我
and I won't stand for it.
我是不會容忍的
How are you set? What are we talking about?
你想怎么做,你什么打算,
Keeping this town in the hands of those who own it.
讓大西洋城留在它真正的主人手里
Mr. Halligan has his friends.
哈利根先生也有他自己的朋友
They're not my friends and I don't want to see them around.
他們不是我的朋友,我不想見到他們
We'd need to deputize some men.
我們要雇一些人
Let's say about 20.
20個怎么樣
Post them at the train station the ferries.
廣告張貼在火車站和渡輪里
Regular checks at the hotels.
定期去酒店檢查
Anyone we don't like the look of
看誰不順眼
see 'em off.
就送他們走
Just enforcing the vagrancy laws.
執行《流浪者法案》
Nothing illegal about it.
沒什么不合法的
That's one order of business.
這是辦法之一
What's the other?
還有什么辦法
Let's you and I discuss that.
這得我們兩人討論了
Wait out on the porch.
去走廊里等著
How's he getting along?
他干的怎么樣
He's a good boy. Works hard.
他是個好孩子,工作很努力
Keeps his mouth shut.
口風很緊
A bit of a mooncalf to me.
我覺得他有點傻
What's the task at hand?
現在要做什么
Keeping this town in the hands of those who own it.
把這座城攥在手心里
Make new friends. Eli.
交新朋友,伊萊
Huh? Yeah very catchy.
挺好,很上口
And very appropriate.
還很得體
You think so?
你這么覺得
I can play "Greensleeves" too.
我還會吹《綠袖子》
The supper will be getting cold.
晚飯要涼了
Chester that would sound better much further away.
徹斯特,在遠處吹更好聽
Luciano doesn't know your name.
盧西亞諾不知道你的名字
Let him say what he wants. He can't prove anything.
他愛怎么說怎么說,又沒證據
That didn't stop Capone from sticking a gun in my mouth.
卡彭還不是照樣把槍往我嘴里塞
Yeah well that's just poor leadership.
那只能說他領導不力
You think you won't be implicated?
你以為你不會受牽連嗎
You know all about me. He'll go to work on you.
你知道我的底細,他會對你旁敲側擊
You'll fold. Hey whoa where do you get off saying
你肯定會招的,你這是什么意思,
You'll fold and it won't help either of us. Think about that.
你一招,我們倆誰都保不住,好好想想
Then what do you want to do?
那你想怎樣
I for one refuse to be ruled by fear.
我不能再被恐懼控制了
Husband. Coming dear.
老公,來了,親愛的,
Well I'd just like to say how pleased we both are
我想想說我們倆都高興
to have been invited to your home.
能受邀來到你們家
Eli tells me you're a wonderful cook.
伊萊跟我說你廚藝一流
What else would he say?
他還說什么了
Smells delicious doesn't it?
聞起來真香,是不是
The baby you wish it will be what?
寶寶,你覺得會是什么
A boy?
男孩嗎
Well we have four of each so...
我們男女都有四個了
we do need a tiebreaker.
得來一個打破僵局
Though either truly is a blessing.
不過不論怎樣,都很幸福
As we well know ourselves don't we dear?
這點我們也同意,是嗎,親愛的
What is it we know?
同意什么
That boys and girls each add
男孩女孩都能給一個家庭
their own magic to a family.
帶來不同的魔法
Hmm where do people get these illusions?
人都是從哪來的這種錯覺
My real mother died.
我生母死了
She was a ballerina.
她是個芭蕾舞者
Such a charming little bungalow.
小屋真好看
George here built it himself.
喬治自己建的
Is that so? A kit from Sears
真的嗎,從希爾斯百貨買套工具,
The roof leaks for always.
屋頂就沒哪天不漏過
Oh well maybe Eli can help. He's very handy.
那伊萊也許能幫上忙,他手很巧
This is true?
是嗎
You come during daytime maybe.
那你或許能白天來
When husband is not at home or working
等我老公不在家或者外出工作時
making the pickups.
過來搭把手
Sounds like a twoman job to me.
聽起來要兩個大男人才能完得成
Maybe it's better if I
或許我最好還是
He fixes washing machine and then he breaks it.
他把洗碗機修好了,然后他又弄壞了
The belt snapped dear on its own accord.
皮帶自己斷了,親愛的
Only one man is needed.
只需要一個男人
The way they make things nowadays
現在他們造東西
such shoddy workmanship.
太偷工減料了
May I have the flatbread?
能把無酵餅給我嗎
Thank you Mrs. Rothstein.
謝謝你,羅斯坦夫人
Mrs. Thompson.
湯普森夫人
Old Rumpus Associates?
喧囂依舊公司
It's a holding company incorporated in New Jersey.
是在新澤西的一家控股公司
Funds from an outofstate bank will take longer to clear.
從外地銀行流入的資金要很久才能核實
Considering the unusual nature of the settlement
考慮到這項協議的特殊性
I'd like to make sure the money's in place first.
我希望資金能先到位
No.
不行
I'm sorry?
你說什么
I said no.
我說不行
This is the deal. The only deal.
就是這個方案,唯一的方案
In order to protect my client's interests
為了保障我客戶的利益
Give me that.
給我
We appreciate your discretion
我們很感謝你
in this rather unfortunate incident.
在這起意外事件上的小心謹慎
You're right where you belong aren't you?
你一直在屬于你的地方,不是嗎
Perhaps I am.
或許吧
Let me see you out.
我送你出去
You've been married this whole time?
你這段時間一直都是已婚嗎
Yes.
是的
You routinely associate with criminals?
經常跟罪犯們打交道
So it would seem.
沒錯
And now I'm involved as well.
現在我也卷進去了
Obviously.
顯而易見
Will I have the privilege of thanking your husband personally?
我能當面感謝你丈夫嗎
He does nothing from the goodness of his heart sir.
他做好事也不是出于善心,先生
You should know that from the outset.
你從一開始就得知道
Well what does he have in mind?
他在盤算什么
It's not always easy to tell.
很難說
But you can begin by setting up an account for him.
但你可以開始著手給他開戶了
Under an assumed name.
用假名
For what purpose exactly?
具體是什么目的呢
To set about shorting the stock of the Mayflower Grain Corporation.
做空五月花糧食集團的股票
I rode the rails.
有一回我坐火車
Back in '09.
1909年的時候
Reading to Buffalo.
準備去水牛城
Mighty frigid up there.
那特別冷
Not the weather the broads.
我說的不是天氣,而是那的女人
See who it is.
去看看是誰
I hear you can tune a piano
我聽說你能調鋼琴
but can you tune a fish?
不過你能調魚嗎
Tuna He's looking for somebody.
就是釣魚啦,他來找人,
Gavin Lynnquist. United States Marshal.
加文?林奎斯特,聯邦法警
You were here last week. And you weren't.
你上禮拜就來了,那時候你不在,
I'm looking for the previous owner Albert White.
我要找之前的老板,阿爾伯特?懷特
Colored fella goes by Chalky.
黑人,人稱朝琪
What'd he do?
他干了什么
He has a noticeable scar across his face.
他臉上有一道很明顯的疤
Let me guess. He swiped a watermelon.
讓我猜猜,他是不是偷了個西瓜
Killed a prison guard at a work farm in Maryland.
他在馬里蘭的勞教農場殺了個獄警
Also the convict he escaped with.
然后還跟人越獄了
See? I knew there was trouble behind those eyes.
看到沒,我就知道他早晚得惹事
Mr. White is a known fugitive.
懷特先生是個臭名昭著的逃犯
You could be charged with aiding and abetting
如果你們窩藏罪犯,會被判
if you harbor a criminal.
協助以及教唆罪犯
And if I turn him over?
如果我把他交出來呢
Well then you have nothing to fear.
那你沒什么好害怕的
May even be a reward.
說不能還能得到獎勵
I'm gonna hold you to that.
這句我記住了
Come on.
來吧
Right there. Albert White.
就在那,阿爾伯特?懷特,
Put down the knife and raise your hands.
放下刀,舉起手來
You! Albert White!
就是你,阿爾伯特?懷特
Put down the knife or I'll shoot.
放下刀,不然我開槍了
Hands above your head.
把手舉過頭頂
Turn around slow now.
現在慢慢轉過來
Name's Jenkins sir.
我叫詹金斯,長官
That's not him.
那不是他
A scar you said. That isn't him.
你不是說有道疤嗎,那不是他,
One coon's good as another is what I always say.
我老覺得黑鬼長得都差不多
Come back anytime now.
隨時來玩啊
Oh there you are.
你在這啊
Let me get that. It's a woman's work.
我來吧,這是女人家的活,
I'm gonna stand on ceremony in your condition?
你都這樣了,活還是我干吧
The boys will do it. Come on George.
孩子們能代勞的,來吧,喬治
Very well.
好樣的
Relax. Listen to the radio.
放松點,聽廣播吧
It's almost time for Rudy Vallee.
魯迪?瓦利的時間到了
My Kathleen adores him.
我們家凱瑟琳很崇拜他
I have an idea. Can we play it Mother?
我有個主意,我們能放嗎,媽媽
I am tired of the record.
我已經聽膩了那張唱片了
Please please please.
求你了,求你了
Have your childish pleasure.
隨你怎么玩吧
Let's just take it one step at a time...
在你把自己逼進墻角之前
I am not running anymore.
我再也不逃避了
before you box yourself into a corner.
咱們得一步一步來
I'm not running.
我不逃避
It's rattling around in his head. He's not gonna let it go.
他滿腦子都是那個,不會輕易罷休的
I am not running. You can't just keep
我不會逃避,你不能就這么...
What's wrong?
怎么了
We are alone.
我們很孤單
We are all alone.
我們都很孤單
What happened? I don't know.
怎么了,我也不知道,
Eli what's wrong?
伊萊,怎么了
Nothing.
沒什么
Let me clean this up. I'll get it.
我來清理一下,我來吧,
I just
我只是
You remember now?
你現在記起來了嗎
Remember what?
記起來什么
Oh Jesus.
上帝啊
Will someone tell me what's going on?
有人能告訴我發生什么事了嗎
You lie to yourself.
你對你自己撒謊
Excuse me? Okay look we need
你說什么,聽著,我們得...
Who are you to say anything about lying? We got to go.
你算哪根蔥,什么撒謊,我們要走了,
You lie. You lie. You lie.
你撒謊,你撒謊,你撒謊
But I will tell the truth.
不過我會說出真相
Your man and me
你男人和我
we fuck.
操過
You see in the kitchen on the chair.
在廚房的椅子上
Fucked and fucked and fucked.
操了一遍又一遍
When husband is at work making the collections.
那時候我丈夫在工作,去收錢
What?
什么
June...
瓊,
Daddy! Abigail go to your room.
爸比,阿比蓋爾,回你房間去,
She said bad words.
她說臟話了
I will answer it.
我去開門
That woman
那女人
You need me here?
你說你需要我
Let's take a ride.
咱們出去走走
This isn't a good time. We got to talk...
現在不是好時候,我們得談談,
Nelson.
尼爾森
You too...
你也是
Sheriff Thompson.
湯普森治安官
Blubber!
嚇死你
Blubber!
嚇死你
Blubber!
嚇死你
Dr. Cotton?
科頓醫生
What did he do to you?
他對你做了什么
Butterscotch Krimpet.
奶油小餅干
I saved it for you.
我專門為你留的
Is it your mouth?
是你的嘴巴嗎
Did he...
他是不是
The sickness was someplace else.
傷在別的地方
They've given me a first grade class.
校方把一年級的孩子委派給我
It's just what I've asked for.
真是太合我意了
They can be an unruly lot.
這么小的孩子可難管教
No they're the perfect age.
恰恰相反,他們這個年紀正好
Just hungry to learn everything.
不但對知識如饑似渴
And free from old prejudice.
而且心中沒有任何偏見
What is lacking among the schoolchildren in Camden?
卡姆登的學生們是不是少根筋
You said you wished for me to choose my own path.
你說過你希望我能走自己選擇的道路
Did I?
有么
This town is set to be a comer Mr. Jeffries.
這座城市正在發展,杰弗里斯先生
Good place to stake your claim.
是個投資的好地方
In all your vast experience?
以你的閱歷判斷嗎
Well yes. If you don't mind my saying so.
如果您不介意的話,是的
I think it's a young person's duty
我認為盡可能地抓住機會
to go where opportunity most presents itself.
正是年輕人應該做的
Why aren't you heading off to the Klondike?
那你為什么不去克朗代克淘金呢
Enoch isn't going to the Klondike Father. That's absurd.
伊諾克才不會去克朗代克,父親,這太荒謬了
I'd go if that's where ambition led.
若是有此志向,去也無妨
I won't allow that.
我不允許
There's nothing but rough men and bear grease.
那兒除了粗人和熊脂之外什么都沒有
There's riches to be found right here.
財富近在眼前
Atlantic City has doubled in size over the last decade.
過去十年,大西洋城的面積翻了一番
tourists coming in every day when the season's on.
旅游旺季時,每天都有一萬名游客,10000
He's going to mine people instead of gold. That's much easier.
他可是在從人身上掘金,這可輕松多了
From bellboy to deputy sheriff.
小門童晉升到副治安官,不簡單啊
Every story has a beginning sir.
人都有起步的地方,先生
I have a mission for you.
我有件事委托你
Seek out and purchase me a pack of Fatima's.
替我買包法蒂瑪香煙回來
You wish me to be absent.
你這是想支開我
I wish for a pack of Fatima's.
我想要包法蒂瑪香煙
May I smoke one?
我能抽一根嗎
I'll whip you if you do.
你敢抽它,我就抽你
You're completely monstrous.
你可真是不可理喻
Be steadfast.
穩住了
Mr. Jeffries
杰弗里斯先生
I'll talk and then you can say what you want.
先讓我把話說完,你再說什么都行
Now I've never denied Mabel anything
我從未拒絕過梅布爾任何事
because I knew it was pointless.
因為我知道說了也白說
She is quite willful.
她相當固執
I don't know what she sees in you
話雖無意冒犯
and I say that with no intent to offend.
可我不知道她是哪點看上你了
You seem diligent and earnest
你看上去勤奮而認真
and you have certainly demonstrated persistence.
看得出來也很有毅力
I should admire those qualities
我本該欣賞這些品行
but somehow I don't.
可是卻沒有
I wouldn't expect you to.
我也沒指望
Why is that?
怎么說
We're fighting over the same thing.
我們在爭取同一件事
One of us is bound to lose.
總有一個人要輸
I mean to marry Mabel.
我要娶梅布爾
I mean to provide for her
我要養活她
and the family we'll raise together.
以及今后我們一家人
How?
怎么養活
By getting myself ahead.
出人頭地
Prove it.
證明你說的話
I can't prove it to you sitting here.
我坐在這里可證明不了
Prove it to yourself.
向你自己證明
I don't have to prove what I already know.
知道的事情還有什么好證明的呢
I don't think you do know.
怕是你并不知道吧
Oh I think you talk a bold line.
你豪言壯語說了不少
I think you have a nose for
你知道怎么揣測
figuring out what people would like to hear
別人想聽的話
but I don't think you know what you are.
但我覺得你不了解自己
Well sir I suppose we'll both find that out.
先生,我想時間會給我們答案的
I smoked one anyway.
我就是抽了一根
I expected nothing less.
真是我的好姑娘
It's bold.
酒勁挺大
And you Mr. Thompson you are bold.
你也是,湯普森先生,你的膽子也挺大
Enough to come here and stand before me now.
有膽識到這里面對我
Then we're not waiting for Mr. Torrio?
這么說我們不等托里奧先生了嗎
When are you going to get rid of Charlie Luciano?
你什么時候做掉查理?盧西亞諾
He disappoints me.
他令我失望
That is true.
這點不假
He'll come for me again
他還會對我下手
and then he'll come for you.
而接下來就是你了
When one sits on the throne that is to be expected.
身居高位,這類事可想而知
I do not take such things personally.
我并不因為這種事記仇
What's more personal than a man trying to kill you?
他想殺了你,怎么能不記仇
Fides. Trust.
信任
Loyalty.
忠誠
The foundation of the Roman Empire.
這些是羅馬帝國的根基
Didn't Caesar get a knife in the back?
凱撒不就是被暗殺的嗎
Still I prefer to deal only with Italians.
即便如此,我仍只愿同意大利人來往
Where does that leave me?
那我怎么辦
You are Malta.
你就像馬耳他
An island unto yourself.
地方自治
Loyal to Rome but exempt from Roman law.
忠于羅馬,然而不受羅馬法律制約
And Roman tribute as well?
這么說還得向羅馬進貢了
Mr. Torrio assures me that you're a man
托里奧先生向我保證你是個
who knows how to return a favor.
懂得知恩圖報的人
But we can hear it from him.
來聽他說說吧
Abajo!
趴下
Get out of my way!
滾開
May I come in?
我能進來嗎
Sorry to disturb.
抱歉打擾了
Is something wrong?
出什么事了嗎
No ma'am. Just county business.
沒有,夫人,郡內事務而已
Come sit down.
進來坐下吧
It's all right.
沒事
How's Ruth?
露絲還好嗎
Back on her feet. Baby's thriving.
恢復過來了,孩子很健康
Glad to hear it.
真替您高興
Well?
說吧
The jobs you do
你為準將
for the Commodore...
做的事
What jobs are those?
你說的是什么事
That have their own rules.
它有自己的一套法則
I could help with those.
我可以幫你
No one asked you to.
沒人要你幫
I'm offering now.
我現在主動提供幫助
That's not how it works.
這事不是這么辦的
Go home.
回家吧
It's late.
很晚了
We'll talk about it some other time.
我們改天再談
I do appreciate you taking the time for me Dr. Cotton.
我很感激您抽時間見我,科頓醫生
I know how burdened you are.
我知道你工作負擔很大
What an awful lot of responsibility.
您肩上的擔子真重
I don't regard it a burden.
我不覺得那是負擔
A chance to help those unable to help themselves.
這是給我機會幫助那些不能幫助自己的人
And I wanted to tell you personally
我想要來當面告訴你
that I've made a full recovery.
我已經痊愈了
You have? When?
是嗎,什么時候
There wasn't an exact moment.
也沒有什么確切的時間
But I'm seeing clearly now.
但我現在能看清了
Thinking clearly.
可以清晰地思考
What is it you want?
你想要做什么
I'm sure there are formalities to observe
我知道觀察需要一定的程序
but I'd like to start the process.
但我想要從現在開始
Which process is that?
開始什么
The process of being released.
出院的程序
Why were you brought to us?
你為什么被帶到我們這里呢
I took someone's life...
我因為過度悲傷
in a state of temporary insanity
暫時性精神錯亂
out of grief.
殺了一個人
You know you were ill?
你知道你當時生病了嗎
I do.
我知道
And now you know you're not?
現在你確定你沒生病嗎
Yes.
對,
How?
怎么知道的
How do you know what you are?
你怎么知道你的病情的呢
How do you know?
你怎么知道的
The concept of temporary insanity is troublesome.
暫時性精神錯亂的定義很難講
Some might say convenient for the afflicted.
有人覺得這對病人有利
Rational before the act
在殺人之前是清醒的
rational after
之后也是清醒的
but in that one instance
但就在殺人那段時間
It was the jury's decision.
這是由陪審團決定的
Where does insanity go?
那神智去哪了呢
Malaria syphilis tuberculosis
瘧疾,梅毒,肺結核
these linger in the tissues.
這些病都會留在人體的組織里
They hide from sight only to reemerge.
它們藏起來就是為了再次令人發病
They are in the body forever
除非把它們徹底根除
unless they're rooted out.
它們會一直留在人體里
I'm better.
我變好了
I've been helped.
我受到了幫助
I'm grateful.
我對此很感激
But are you cured?
但你痊愈了嗎
Are you cured?
你痊愈了嗎
We'll find what's inside you.
我們要找出你身體里的病
We'll fix it.
我們會治好它
You don't need to worry about that.
你不必擔心
Could you not do that?
你能不這么做嗎
Do what?
做什么
Stare at me.
一直盯著我
Am I making you uncomfortable?
我讓你不自在了嗎
The event you're thinking about...
你想的那事
That was an accident.
那是個意外
Plain and simple.
僅此而已
You mean like a streetcar hitting a horse?
就像有軌電車撞了匹馬嗎
A man getting his head crushed in a metal press?
某個人被金屬擠壓機擠碎了腦袋嗎
A gas explosion
像瓦斯爆炸
in which bystanders
把旁觀者
are literally torn limb from limb?
炸得粉身碎骨嗎
That's what your having sexual relations
這些事情和你跟我老婆
with my wife was like?
上床像嗎
Look...
聽著
I don't know about you but...
我不知道你,但是
my life is a fucking shipwreck.
我的人生就像海難一樣糟糕
Well land ho.
這不上岸了嗎
Put that away.
收起來
We need you sober.
我們需要你保持清醒
The prohibition officer you drowned
你淹死的禁酒探員
the justice investigator you shot
你逃脫時打傷的
while fleeing custody.
司法調查官
And a lot more I'm guessing won't be hard to find.
估計你還傷過好多人
Special Agent James M. Tolliver.
特別探員詹姆斯?M?托利弗
Killed in the line of duty.
執行任務時被殺
I don't know who that is.
我不知道那是誰
That's funny. We found his teeth all over your living room.
真搞笑,我們在你的客廳發現了他的牙齒
Some colored broke in.
有個黑人闖進來過
He the one knocked up your wife?
把你老婆肚子搞大的人嗎
Nobody cares about your problems.
沒人在乎你的問題
End of the road gentlemen.
到此為止了,先生們
You can cooperate with us...
你們可以跟我們合作
or you can see how things look from inside the gas chamber.
不然就進審訊室里吧
What do you want us to do?
你們想讓我們做什么
There isn't a court in Cook County
庫克郡沒有一個法庭
that would put Alphonse Capone in jail.
會判阿爾方斯?卡彭入獄
They're all in his pocket.
他們都是他的人
But he can't fight the Bureau of Internal Revenue.
但是他沒法和國稅局作對
We're making a case for tax evasion.
我們準備告他逃稅
You think this is a joke?
你覺得我們在開玩笑嗎
No.
不,
Not with all the penalties and interest.
罰金和利息可不是鬧著玩的
He has to report the money legal or not otherwise...
他必須上報收入,無論是否合法,否則
Five years in a federal penitentiary minimum.
至少要在聯邦監獄蹲五年
If we can prove the income.
只要我們能找到證據
Key to the count room.
這是財務室的鑰匙
Combination to the safe.
保險箱的密碼
We need the ledger books.
我們要總賬賬簿
You're gonna get them for us.
你們得幫我們拿到手
Why don't you do it yourself?
你怎么不自己去
Because we're the expendable ones.
因為我們是無名小卒
Capone's out all night
卡彭整晚都不在
showing some Hollywood types around.
他正陪幾個好萊塢明星逛
Skeleton crew at the Lex
骨干們都在萊克星頓酒店
so it's as easy as it's ever going to be.
因此現在正是最佳時機
You're making a dropoff.
你們去上交收入
Excess cash. Then what?
額外收入,然后呢,
Do what you need to.
見機行事
But you're getting those books tonight.
但必須在今晚拿到賬簿
And he goes to jail?
然后他就會進監獄
He certainly won't otherwise.
拿不到他自然不會進去
You both wore badges.
你們做過執法人員
Here's your chance to earn them.
現在是時候履行你們的職責了
Those ledgers are written in code.
那些賬本都是用密碼寫的
Yeah well you met Ries.
沒錯,你們見過里斯
Fella who keeps the books.
保管賬簿的家伙
He's screwy about bugs.
他特別害怕蟲子
Right.
沒錯
He's agreed to cooperate.
他已經同意和我們合作了
Haven't you?
對嗎
Get them off of me! Get them off of me!
把它們弄走,快把它們弄走
It's a fucking slaughterhouse.
簡直是屠殺
The bulls roped off the entire block.
警察封鎖了整片街區
There's no telling who's dead and who's alive.
沒法知道究竟誰死了誰活著
Who were the shooters?
槍手是誰
Better you don't know. Keep out of it.
你最好還是不要知道,置身事外
Well I'm involved now ain't I?
我現在可沒法置身事外了
We're grateful for everything you done.
我們對你的幫助非常感謝
Your advice your counsel.
包括你的建議和忠告
And as the syndicate moves forward
隨著組織的不斷發展
it'll only get stronger.
它只會越來越強大
And your involvement will be an important part
你的幫助將會在其中起到重要作用
Yeah?
喂,
We waited for you John.
我們一直在等你,約翰
For quite some time.
等了很長時間
Nucky?
努基
I called. Didn't you get the message?
我打過電話了,你沒收到留言嗎
Actually I did.
我收到了
And now I have a message for you
現在我有條留言給你
and the two pissants you're in league with.
還有和你狼狽為奸的兩個混蛋
I will not rest
不讓你們見棺材
until I see you in your graves.
我誓不罷休
Are you gonna do your job or what?
你到底要不要履行自己的職責
I pay taxes like anybody.
我也和其他人一樣交稅
You tell the sheriff that.
你去告訴治安官
He needs to come sort out doings here.
他得想辦法來解決這種事
I don't feel safe in my own bed anymore.
我躺在自己的床上都睡不安穩
The things that go on at night.
晚上這里發生的事
You can hear them.
你都聽得到
You can hear the
你能聽到...
you can hear the souls
你能聽到鬼魂
all moaning.
在嗚咽
Bad news I'm afraid.
恐怕是壞消息
I've been calling you for days.
我一整天都在給你打電話
Inquiries had to be made
我得想辦法打聽那些
about something they say did not occur.
他們拒不承認的事情
Just tell me.
直說吧
Miss Wheet was detained at the roadblock outside Havana
宵禁以后,維特小姐在哈瓦那郊外的路障
after curfew.
被扣留了
There was a dispute with the soldiers.
她和士兵起了爭執
She fired a gun.
她開了槍
She died on the spot.
被當場擊斃
I don't believe it.
我不相信
That will not change what happened.
這無法改變事實
I want the names of those responsible.
我要知道當時都有誰
I'll pay whatever it costs.
多少錢我都愿意付
There are no names Mr. Thompson.
他們都是無名小卒,湯普森先生
Then who will be called to account?
那究竟誰來負責呢
No one I am afraid.
恐怕沒人會負責
Sir. Come to see about a girl.
先生,我來找個姑娘,
Then you won't be disappointed.
那你一定不會失望的
Need to pat you down.
我得搜身檢查
Had a ruckus few nights back.
前幾天出了點亂子
Fine by me.
沒問題
Only looking to make one kind of noise.
我只是來找樂子的
This way.
這邊走
First room on the left.
左手第一間房間
Evening Clarence. Evening Mr. Jake.
晚上好,克拉倫斯,晚上好,杰克先生,
New rules.
新規定
Got a little rough. Got to pat you down.
有些冒犯,得讓我搜身檢查
Amelia here? Yeah Amelia here.
艾米莉亞在嗎,她在,
Alicia too. All your favorite girls.
艾麗西婭也在,都是你喜歡的姑娘
Sophia as well?
索菲婭呢
Hey there darling.
你好啊,親愛的
How you doing? Let me take you upstairs.
你好嗎,我帶你上樓,
Come on don't be shy. I know you see something.
來吧,別害羞,我知道你看到了什么,
Oh come on back.
回來吧
Mama?
媽媽