All right, you people ready to have some fun?
好了 大家準備好來點樂子了嗎
You have a basic understanding of differential calculus and at least one year of algebraic topology?
你們都對微積分有基本認識 并至少學過一年代數拓撲吧
Well, then here come the jokes. Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?
好吧 下面是笑話時間 雞為什么要穿過默比烏斯帶
To get to the same side bazinga! All right, a neutron walks into a bar and asks, "How much for a drink?"
為了回到同一側 逗你玩呢 還有 一個中子走進家酒吧問道 酒多少錢一杯
The bartender says, "For you, no charge." Hello?
酒保回答 你買嗎 免費(無電荷) 有人在嗎
I know you're out there. I can hear you metabolizing oxygen and expelling carbon dioxide.
我知道你們在的 能聽到你們代謝氧氣 排出二氧化碳的聲音
Looks like we have some academic dignitaries in the audience.Dr. Randall from the geology department
觀眾中好像不乏學術權威啊 地質學系的蘭德爾教授
only man who's happy when they take his work for granite.Bada cha!
唯一一位別人說他(研究花崗巖)"花崗巖腦袋" 他還得笑納的人 巴扎嘿
I kid the geologists, of course,but it's only 'cause I have no respect for the field.
當然 我是在拿地質學家開涮 那只是因為我壓根就沒把那當回事兒
Let's get serious for a moment.Why are we all here?'Cause we're scientists.
下面我們來談點嚴肅話題 我們今天為何齊聚于此 因為我們是科學家
And what do scientists study?The universe.And what's the universe made of?I am so glad you asked.
科學家是研究什么的 宇宙 宇宙由何構成 很高興你提這問題
There's antimony,arsenic, aluminum, selenium And hydrogen and oxygen and nitrogen and rhenium And nickel, neodymium, neptunium, germanium Everybody!
有銻 砷 鋁 硒 有氫 氧 氮 錸 還有鎳 釹 镎 鍺 一起唱
And iron, americium Ruthenium, uranium, europium, zirconium, Lutetium, vanadium
還有鐵 镅 釕 鈾 銪 鋯 镥 釩
Just the Asians! And lanthanum and osmium And astatine and radium...
亞洲人唱 還有鑭和鋨 砹和鐳
Penny, Leonard. Would you be able to answer some questions I'm having about the events of last night?
佩妮 萊納德 你們能不能幫我答疑解惑 昨天晚上我到底怎么回事
Sure.
當然
Question one... where are my pants?
問題 一 我的褲子上哪去了
You might want to check YouTube.
你可以上YouTube看一下
What do I search?
怎么找
It's already loaded. Just hit play.
已經緩沖好了 直接點開看吧
All right, people, let's get down to the math. It is only three dimensional thinking that limits our imagination.
好了各位 讓我們來聊聊數學吧 僅僅用三維的思考方式 會限制我們的想象力
Can I take my pants off over my head? Of course not.
我能從頭上脫了褲子嗎 當然不行
My body's in the way. But if we had access to higher dimensions, we could move our pants around our bodies through the fourth dimension
我的身體在擋路。 但只要能進入更高維度 就能通過第四維度 讓褲子繞著身體轉圈
and our days of dropping trousers would be over.
以后就再沒脫褲子這么一說了
Oh, Lord... This couldn't be any more humiliating.
天哪 真是丟人丟到家了