本劇主要講述住在紐約長島的西佛一家的日常生活故事,是中國大陸較早引進的國外情景喜劇,在中國從1990年一直播出至1994年。1990年代初期一經播出就引發了收視高潮,片中邁克開朗調皮的形象為廣大觀眾所喜愛。而劇中西佛醫生對子女采取啟發式教育的方式,也讓觀眾得到啟示。
Jason: Never mind. I’d really rather not talk about it.
詹森:算了吧,不想談了。
Maggie: Oh, well. I'm sure it’ll blow over by tomorrow, or the next day.
瑪吉:這件事肯定會過去的,明天之前,估計在延長一天。
Carol: So, how's my brother to be the big TV star.
卡羅爾:嗨,我的電視明星哥哥,你怎么了。
Mike: Hey knock it off, Carol. I’ve been getting that all day.
邁克:別說了,卡羅爾,今天我倒霉透了。
Boner: Hello, everybody. This is News Line, New York.
伯納:嗨,大家好,現在是紐約新聞。
Eddie: We’re here with Mike and Jason Seaver, two really cool guys?
埃迪:現在向大家介紹邁克和詹森兩位非常冷靜的人。
Boner: That girl asked me to go to the movies on Saturday, so you know what I did?
伯納:南希星期六不肯和我去看電影,怎么辦?
Eddie: What?
埃迪:什么?
Boner: I asked my Dad.
伯納:我去問我爸爸。
Mike: Hey, Boner. You're a real funny guy.
邁克:嘿,哥們,這沒什么可樂的。
Eddie: Hey, Mike. Listen, maybe you and your Dad could double with me and my Dad some night. Mike, you can tell us.
埃迪:嘿,邁克兄長,你和你爸,我和我爸,來次雙檔怎么樣?邁克,對我們說說。
Boner: Did you get lucky or was that goodnight kiss all you got?
伯納:約會有進展嗎?還是只是說了句晚安?哈哈..
Carol: You guys are a lot funnier since your labotomeys.
卡羅爾:嗨,你們兩個就算把腦葉切除了,也不見得聰明。
Eddie: Wow, what a family! A guy dates his dad and gets his little sister to stick up for him. This could make the news too.
埃迪:嗚...瞧這一家子,兒子跟老子約會,現在妹妹又追著哥哥,這到是件新鮮事。