本劇主要講述住在紐約長島的西佛一家的日常生活故事,是中國大陸較早引進的國外情景喜劇,在中國從1990年一直播出至1994年。1990年代初期一經播出就引發了收視高潮,片中邁克開朗調皮的形象為廣大觀眾所喜愛。而劇中西佛醫生對子女采取啟發式教育的方式,也讓觀眾得到啟示。
Maggie: Hey, what's that you're reading about?
嘿,你在看什么?
Carol: Well it says here that as the universe expands, all matter is degenerating into a state of total disorganisation.
這上面說隨著宇宙的膨脹,所有物質都在進入一種混亂無序的狀態。
Maggie: Thank god I thought it was just me.
太好了,我還以為只有我自己是混亂無序的。
Mike: So what are you guys doing tonight? "The House of Sweat", yeah great! Hey look, can I talk to you guys later, yeah, bye.
你們今天晚上打算干什么?“汗水之家”,太好了。那個,我稍后再打給你,好,再見。
Maggie: Mike, what is "The House of Sweat"?
麥克,“汗水之家”是什么?
Carol: It's that new under twenty dance club on Geravo Turnpike.
是在Geravo Turnpike一家二十歲以下年輕人跳舞的俱樂部。
Mike: Yeah, and it sounds like a great idea mom. It's a safe, wholesome place for teens to congregate.
那里聽起來很不錯,媽媽。很安全,是年輕人聚會的好地方。
Maggie: And the larger the group, the smaller their brains get.
人越多,腦子就越萎縮(智商越低)。
Jason: Oh come on Maggie!
得了吧,麥琪(拜托別這么說)。
Mike: Yeah, come on Maggie! Yes, well, time to go wait for that school bus; you know if I hurry I can still get a seat in the non-smoking section.
就是,得了吧,麥琪。那個,該去等校車了。如果趕緊點兒,也許我能在非吸煙區找個座兒。
Maggie: Good day! Bye sweetheart. Bye Ben, love you!
祝你們愉快。再見,寶貝。再見,本,我愛你哦。