haled: 長期監禁
長期監禁讓我的四肢痛楚不堪
So fare my limbs with long imprisonment.
imprisonment: 監禁
仿佛剛從刑架上下來一般。——《返老還童》
rack: 使…痛苦
I was racked with doubt and pain.
我滿腹疑慮,痛苦萬分。
Anxiety kept her on the rack.
焦急使她深受折磨。
Out damnable affliction! Praise God!
苦難退散! 稱頌主吧!
Hallelujah!
哈利路亞!——《返老還童》
affliction: 痛苦,苦難
I have great sympathy for people in affliction.
我對那些受苦受難的人們充滿同情。
Blindness can be a terrible affliction.
失明有時極為痛苦。
Pastor: God bless you. He's seven!
上帝保佑他只有七歲!
Now, this is a man with optimism in his heart!
這才是一個心態積極向上的人! ——《返老還童》
optimism: 樂觀
optimistic adj. 樂觀的
We are still optimistic, whatever the result (may be).
我們仍然樂觀,不論結果如何。
The stockholders are optimistic about the company's future.
股東對公司的前景很樂觀。
I was with people who had shed all the inconsequences of earlier life.
inconsequences: 包袱
我身邊的人都已經拋下了前半生的包袱
Left wondering about the weather,
只關心明天的天氣。——《返老還童》
shed: 脫落,放下
Most trees shed their leaves in autumn.
大多數樹在秋天落葉。
This method can help students shed inhibitions.
這一方法能幫助學生去除顧慮。
Mr Weathers: That's Mr Oti. He's an acquaintance of an acquaintance of mine.
那是Oti先生,他是我一個熟人的熟人。——《返老還童》
acquaintance: 熟人,相識,了解
I have a slight acquaintance with Japanese.
我略通日文。
He is my acquaintance.
他是我的熟人。
I have never made his acquaintance.
我與他素昧平生。