I didn't know what I was supposed to feel. Confused, sad, rejected?
我不清楚自己當時是什么感受;困惑,悲傷還是被遺棄的難堪?
I decided to walk to clear my head.
我決定走一走,清醒一下。
Also, I just left my cab fare on the table.
況且,我剛剛把打車的錢留在餐桌上了。
So I walked. I walked 48 blocks in 400$ shoes.
所以我只能走路了。我穿著400美元的鞋子走過了48個街區。
I just needed something to take the edge off.
我需要緩和一下自己的心情。
——《
欲望都市》
take the edge off something 使減弱,弱化
edge 指刀刃,把某物的刀刃拿掉,就是使其軟化、減弱、挫鈍的意思,類似于挫傷銳氣,off 后面常跟的賓語有 appetite 食欲,arrogance 傲慢自大,anger 憤怒,pleasure 高興等。
A series of setbacks he encountered in the initial stage of the experiment did not take the edge off his courage.
試驗初期的一系列挫折并沒有使他氣餒。
That big chocolate bar before supper took the edge off Tom's appetite.
飯前那塊大巧克力使湯姆的胃口大減。
John's parents took him to Mr. Smith's home to apologize for breaking her window, which took the edge off her anger.
約翰的雙親帶她到史密斯太太家去為打碎玻璃的是賠不是,這使他怒氣大消。
His brother's failure took the edge off his own success.
他哥哥的失敗沖淡了他自己成功的喜悅。
That'll take the edge off your hunger.
那可以讓你充充饑。