1. for now 目前,暫時
Shall we call it a night for now and continue our discussion tomorrow?
我們今晚就此結束,明天繼續討論好嗎?
Goodbye for now; I'll be in touch.
現在要告別了, 我會同你聯系的。
情景對話:
A: How do you think about this propose? 這個提議你怎么看?
B: It may be reasonable in the future, but not practicable for now. 可能將來會可行,但是目前還不現實。
2. the hell 口語中常用,意思是“到底,究竟”;
Get the hell out of here!
滾開!
"Who the hell may you be?" he asked truculently.
他狠狠地問道:"你到底是誰?"
情景對話:
A: Where the hell have you been hiding? 你突然躲到哪里去了?
B: I just stayed at home. 我只是呆在家里而已。
3. keep sb. +adj. 使某人保持某種狀態;
I must keep my kitty clean and healthy.
我一定要讓我的貓咪干凈、健康。
She always keep her husband interested in her cook.
她總能讓老公對她的廚藝感興趣。
情景對話:
A: It's dangerous to hunt in this forest. 在這片森林里打獵很危險。
B: Yeah, you must keep yourself alert of the huge animals all the time. 是啊,你得時刻警惕著大型動物。
4. for one's benefit和for the benefit of sb. 都是“為了某人的利益,為了某人好,為了...”的意思;
We developed trade with them for mutual benefit.
我們以互利為目的與他們發展貿易。
The kid is acting up for our benefit.
孩子正在做出各種動作來逗引我們注意。
情景對話:
A: The Cullens moved to a big city. 庫倫一家搬到一個大城市去了。
B: Yeah, it's said for their childern's benefit. 是的,據說是為了孩子們的緣故。
5. remind sb. sth. 提醒某人某事,使某人記住某事;
It reminds me of my best friend.
它讓我想到了我最好的朋友。
You remind me of your father.
(看到)你使我想起了你父親。
情景對話:
A: Why do you still keep those letters? 你怎么還保存著這些信件。
B: They remind me of our love story in our youth. 它們使我想起我們年輕時的愛情故事。
6. have nothing to do with與 ... 無關
Tears have nothing to do with sadness.
眼淚和悲哀沒有關系。
We have nothing to do with him.
我們與他沒有什么關系。
情景對話:
A: You ex-boyfriend got a new girlfriend recently. 你那前男友最近又交了個新女友。
B: That has nothing to do with me. 那跟我無關。
7. up to sb. 取決于某人,該由某人來做某事;
It up to you.
這取決于你;
It is up to parents to teach their children manners.
該由父母教孩子學禮貌。
情景對話:
A: What should I do? 我該怎么辦啊?
B: Oh, my dear, It is up to you to decide. 噢,親愛的,這事由你來定。
8.speak for 替 ... 講話,為 ... 辯護,支持
Her team will speak for the affirmative.
她所在的隊伍將作為正方辯護
I speak for my wife as well as myself when I thank you all for your great kindness.
我代表我妻子我自己對你的盛情款待表示感謝。
情景對話:
A: What do you want to say, madame? 這位女士,你想說什么?
B: I wish to speak for my son, he would be perfect for this job. 我希望為我兒子說幾句話,這工作他一定能勝任愉快。