1. except for adv. 除 ... 之外,要不是由于
I can do nothing except for swimming in the dog days.
在三伏天里,除了游泳,我什么事也做不成。
He likes basketball except for soccer.
除了足球,他還喜歡籃球。
情景對話:
A: I love summer days, when you can have nice rest on beach. 我喜歡夏天,這時候在海灘休息很舒服。
B: Me too, except for the terrible heat. 我也是,除了可怕的炎熱。
2. in one's presence 在某人面前,相當于in presence of sb.
The little girl is shy in presence of strangers.
小女孩在生人面前顯得害羞。
He felt constraint in her presence.
他在她面前顯得局促不安。
情景對話:
A: I think I must fall in love with her. 我想我一定愛上她了。
B: What do you mean? 這怎么講?
A: I feel constraint in her presence. 她面前我感到局促不安。
3. be obliged to do 不得不做某事,必須做某事
They were obliged to sell their house in order to pay their debts.
他們被迫賣房還債。
She was obliged to abandon that idea .
她不得不放棄那個想法。
情景對話:
A: This plan doesn't work. 這個方案行不通。
B: Yeah, we are obliged to take another one. 是的,我們必須得采取別的辦法。
另外,be obliged to sb. 是“感激某人”;
I should be obliged to you for your assistance in this matter.
蒙您大力協助,我將深表感激。
We are obliged to you for dinner.
我們感謝你請我們吃飯。
4. be deficient in 在某方面缺乏、不足
Most of the food they eat is deficient in iron and protein.
他們吃的大部分事物缺乏鐵和蛋白質。
We are deficient in hands.
我們人手不夠。
情景對話:
A: Why she was dismissed? 她為何被炒魷魚?
B: She's deficient in experience. 她經驗不足。