1. I thought...“我原以為...”,是虛擬語氣,這里表示過去對事情的理解與現在發現的事實不符;
He thought she was a high school student.
他(原)以為她是高中生。
I thought you were in London.
我原以為你在倫敦
Wow, I thought the theater would be packed.
哇,我原以為電影院會爆滿。
I thought this statement correct.
我原以為這種說法正確。
情景對話:
A: Did you finished the work? 你完成任務了嗎?
B: I thought I could finish it on schedule, now I realize it's not so easy. 你原以為可以按時完成,現在發現沒那么容易。
2. You guys are great together. 你們很般配;
說兩個人很般配還可以這么說:
You are well suited./You are well matched.你們很般配;
You are made for each other. 你們是天生的一對。
情景對話:
A: Tom and Mary married last week.湯姆和瑪麗上周結婚了。
B: Really? They are indeed made for each other. 真的?他倆真是天生的一對。
3.figure out“發現,弄明白”;
Can you figure out this puzzle?
你能找到謎底嗎?
情景對話:
A: It's said Lucy and her husband had a row yesterday. 聽說露西昨天和她老公吵架了。
B: They always like this, I couldn't figure out why not they divorce. 他們總是這樣,我搞不懂他們為什么不離婚。
4.save oneself...這里的意思是“”使某人免于...
Own up to your wrong-doings and save yourself a lot of trouble.
你承認自己的錯誤可以節省很多的麻煩。
情景對話:
A: I think I shouldn't come here any more. 我想我再也不會來這里了。
B: Why do you think so? 你怎么這么想呢?
A: This way I could save myself seeing so many annoying people. 這樣就可以不用再見這么多討厭的人了。
5. regret doing sth.“后悔做了某事”;
I regret disturbing yo so long.
我很抱歉打擾了你那么久.
而regret to do sth. 則是“很遺憾地/抱歉地做...”(事情還沒有做)
I regret to tell you that you can't pass the examination.
我很遺憾地通知你你不能通過這次考試.
情景對話:
A: Be prudent in making big decision, or you would regret doing that way.做重大決定時要小心,否則你會為此后悔的。
B: Yeah, thank you for warning. 謝謝你的提醒。