I go to bed with a lone oil lamp still shining,
My quilt is not warm when a cold rain is falling.
青燈照壁人初睡,冷雨敲窗被未溫?!?/P>
I feel at heart it is a matter quite nerve-racking,
For I like spring or I feel sad over its leaving.
怪儂底事倍傷神,半為憐春半惱春?!?/P>
Spring I love and my sorrow repair at a fast pace,
They come silent and go without leaving a trace.
憐春忽至惱忽去,至又無語去不聞。
Last night beyond pavilions sad song seemed rising,
Was it the souls of flowers or birds that were singing?
昨宵庭外悲歌奏,知是花魂與鳥魂?
It is always hard to ask their souls to stay behind,
That birds are silent and flowers feel ashamed, I find.
花魂鳥魂總難留,鳥自無語花自羞?!?/P>
I wish to have two wings under my arms to fly,
After you unto the farthest end of the sky.
愿儂此日生雙翼,隨花飛到天盡頭。
At the farthest end of the sky,
Where can I find the grave of your fragrance lie?
天盡頭!何處有香丘?
Better in silk to shroud your petals fair,
With a handful of clean earth as your attire.
未若錦囊收艷骨,一杯凈土掩風流。
For pure you have come and pure you repair,
Lest you fall into some foul ditch or mire.
質本潔來還潔去,強于污淖陷渠溝。
I hold a burial when you die today,
But there’s no telling when I pass away.
爾今死去儂收葬,未卜儂身何日喪?
Others laugh at me that have buried thee,
Who will be the one that shall bury me?
儂今葬花人笑癡,他年葬儂知是誰?
The end of spring makes flowers fall one by one,
It’s also the time when beauty meets its doom.
試看春殘花漸落,便是紅顏老死時。
Once beauty is carried to its very tomb,
Both beauty and flowers perish known to none.
一朝春盡紅顏老,花落人亡兩不知!