Flowers fade and fall and fly about up in the sky,
But who pities the loss of your fragrance when you die?
花謝花飛飛滿天,紅綃香斷有誰憐?
Like gossamer you float and land on pavilions,
With your fallen petals clung soft to fine curtains.
游絲軟系飄春榭,落絮輕沾撲繡簾。
In my boudoir I sigh over the close of spring,
But there’s no way to express my sorrowful feeling.
閨中女兒惜春暮,愁緒滿懷無處訴。
Spade in hand, I go out from under my fine curtain,
To and fro on fallen petals, how can I bear treading?
手把花鋤出繡簾,忍踏落花來復去。
Willow twigs and elm buds send sweet scents as they may,
Who cares when peach and plum petals are in decay?
柳絲榆莢自芳菲,不管桃飄與李飛?!?/P>
Next year peach and plum trees will be in bloom again,
But who will be the master of my boudoir then?
桃李明年能再發,明歲閨中知是誰?
In March lunar swallows have got their nests ready,
They on the beam seem to be those without mercy.
三月香巢初壘成,梁間燕子太無情!
Next year in their flight, fresh flowers they may peck, though,
All that they and I have will be lost, they never know.
明年花發雖可啄,卻不道人去梁空巢也傾!
There are three hundred and sixty days in one year,
With you the elements of nature are severe.
一年三百六十日,風刀霜劍嚴相逼?!?/P>
Time is not long for you to be bright and charming,
Your trace and track are hard to find in your drifting.
明媚鮮妍能幾時,一朝飄泊難尋覓?!?/P>
You are easy to see when open but hard when fallen,
Before the stairs I am worried where to find your remains.
花開易見落難尋,階前愁殺葬花人?!?/P>
Against the spade I lean and in secret weep sudden,
Splashed on your bare branches are my tears like bloodstains.
獨把花鋤偷灑淚,灑上空枝見血痕。
The cuckoo ceases its warbling at twilight,
With my spade I return and shut the doors tight.
杜鵑無語正黃昏,荷鋤歸去掩重門?!?/P>