Really? Like Jackson Pollock?
真的嗎?就像Jackson Pollock的作品一樣?
so you are familiar with Pollock’s work.
啊,所以你對Pollock的作品很熟悉?
Well, sort of, though I’ve only seen photographs of it.
有那么點兒吧,不過我只看過他作品的照片。
I know he dripped paint onto the canvas instead of using a brush.
我知道他會把顏料滴在畫布上,而不是使用畫筆。
I read he stretched out his canvases on the floor of a studio and then he climber up on a ladder to pour paint, ordinary house paint, from a can onto the canvas.
我讀到過,他會把畫布鋪在畫室的地板上,然后他會爬上一座梯子去潑顏料,就是一些普通的家用顏料,從罐子里潑到畫布上。
That’s right. That was characteristic of Pollock in the late forties, in what we call his drip period.
沒錯。那是Pollock在40多歲時候的特色,我們稱為他的潑墨時期。
And the object was to produce a constant stream of paint to create continuous lines,
目的在于產生持續流動的顏料來創造出連貫的線條,
because as you know when you use a brush directly on a canvas you get broken lines. So, you like Pollock.
因為你也知道,當你直接用畫筆在畫布上作畫時會得到斷開的線條。所以你喜歡Pollock?
Yeah, I do. I like abstract works in general. There’s a class on abstract art, right?
是的,我喜歡。我喜歡抽象派這整個派系。有一門課就是關于抽象藝術的,對吧?
Actually I teach that class and drip painting was one of our themes last year.
事實上那門課就是我教,潑墨畫是我們去年的主題之一。
Some students from last year’s class have continued experimenting with it.
去年班上的一些學生還繼續在探索。
They created some incredible pieces using everything from squeezed bottles to computer-controlled sprayers.
他們用各種東西,從擠壓的瓶子到電腦控制的噴墨器,創作出了一些極好的作品。
Do they look a lot like Pollock’s work?
它們看起來很像Pollock的作品嗎?
Well, our goal wasn’t to imitate Jackson Pollock.
我們的目的不是為了模仿Jackson Pollock。
The object was to get students to look at different ways of applying paint to a canvas.
目的是讓學生有機會看到把顏料涂到畫布上的不同方法。
But you don’t have to enroll in a specific course to be invited to exhibit your work.
但是你想被邀請展出你的作品的話也不用特地選一門課。
It just has to fit the theme for one of our exhibitions.
只要符合我們展覽的主題就可以了。