Listen to a conversation between a student and a computer lab administrator.
請聽一個學生和計算機中心管理員之間的對話。
Excuse me. Do you know that all the printers over in the student center have stopped working?
不好意思,請問你知道學生中心那兒所有的打印機都不能用了嗎?
There are eight printers connected to the computers there.
那里有8臺打印機連接著電腦啊。
You are saying they are all broken?
你是在說它們全都壞了?
Yes, I just came from there.
是的,我剛從那兒過來。
There’s a lot of frustrated students, so many classes have papers due this afternoon that everyone is trying to print out their stuff at the same time.
那里有很多失望的學生,很多課程的論文都是截止到今天下午上交,所以每個人都想在同一時間把他們的東西打印出來。
Those printers got overworked and now they all have paper jams or some other problem. Can you fix them?
那些打印機都工作過度了,現在全都卡紙了或者出現了其他問題。你能把它們修好嗎?
Well, not really. I’m just an administrator.
我也無能為力啊,我只是一個管理員。
Most of our actual technicians are students who take the job on the side.
我們大部分技術人員都是兼職的學生。
Where are they?
他們現在在哪兒呢?
Well, most of the students who work at the computer labs study at the engineering school, and unfortunately they all took the day off.
大部分在計算機中心工作的學生都在工程院學習,不幸的是他們今天都休班了。
I think they have some big exams tomorrow.
我想他們明天應該是有些重要的考試。
How can there be no technicians working on the biggest deadline day of the semester?
在整個學期最重要的截稿日期怎么能沒有任何技術人員上班呢?
Well, there is one technician working at the computer lab in the arts building.
其實有一個技術人員正在藝術大樓的計算機中心上班。
Actually, he just sent me an email message saying there was a huge crowd there, and he could not figure out why.
實際上他剛給我發了一條郵件信息說那里人巨多,而他想不明白為什么。
Because people need to print their papers.
因為大家要把他們的論文打印出來啊。
There must be something you can do. People need those printers working.
你一定有什么能做的。大家需要打印機正常工作。
Well, we just ordered new printers and next month we are replacing the old printers over the student center with a brand new set of printers.
我們剛訂了一些新打印機,下個月我們就要把學生中心的舊打印機換成全新一套的打印機了。