Listen to a conversation between a student and his professor.
請聽一個學生和教授之間的對話。
Professor: I have some good news for you, one of the students who was signed up for the summer term at the field station next year won’t be attending after all.
教授:我有一些好消息要告訴你,有一個報名參加明年實驗站的夏季學期的學生終歸去不了了。
Your name’s first on the waiting list, so if you still want to do it, the space is available.
你的名字在候補名單的第一個,所以如果你還想做的話,這個位置現在是空著的。
Student: Oh, that’s terrific!
學生:哦,太棒了!
Professor: You were also interested in doing an independent research project next summer, right?
老師:你還有興趣明年夏天做一個獨立的研究項目,對吧?
Student: Yeah, on salt marsh restoration, but that was before, when I thought I wasn’t going to get into the field station.
學生:是的,關于鹽沼恢復的,但那是之前我以為我進不了實驗站的時候的想法。
Professor: Well, you can still do it if you want.
教授:如果你有這個想法的話還是可以做啊。
I looked over your application for the independent research project, and it looks strong, I approved it.
我看過你申請進行獨立研究項目的申請表了,看起來很有力,我批準了。
And you’d have even more resources there at the field station, so...
而且你在實驗站那里會有更多資源,所以......
Student: The field station and an independent study, but the summer term is a few weeks shorter than a regular term.
學生:兼顧實驗站和一個獨立研究啊,可是夏季學期比正常的學期要短好幾個星期。
Professor: Well, it’s up to you, you’d have to work hard but I think you can do very well.
教授:那就要看你自己了,你必須得非常努力,不過我覺得你會做得很好的。
Professor Garfield, one of the professors over at the field station...
Garfield教授,就是實驗站那邊的教授之一......
Student: Yeah, I’ve heard of him.
學生:是的,我聽說過他。
Professor: Yes, well. Professor Garfield has been doing research on salt marshes for years, assessing human impact and methods of salt marsh restoration.
教授:沒錯,是這樣的,Garfield教授進行鹽沼的研究已經好多年了,他一直在評估人類的影響以及恢復鹽沼的方法。
He is willing to oversee your project.
他愿意指導你的項目。
Student: Wow! That’s too good an opportunity to pass up.
學生:哇,這個機會太棒了,決不能錯過啊。