Narrator: Listen to a conversation between a student and a business professor.
聽一段學生和商務課教授之間的對話。
Student: Thanks for seeing me, Professor Jackson.
學生:Jackson教授,謝謝你愿意見我。
Professor: Sure, Tom. What can I do for you?
教授:別客氣,Tom。我能幫你做什么嗎?
Student: I'm gonna do my term project on service design.
學生:我要做關于服務設計的學期課題。
Oh, what you see as a customer, the physical layout of the building, the parking lot.
也就是從顧客的角度看待問題,比如大樓的實體布局、停車場。
And I thought I'd focus on various kinds of eateries: restaurants, coffee shops, cafeterias.
我想以各種不同的飲食店為重點,比如餐館、咖啡店、自助餐廳。
So I'd also analyze where you order your food, where you eat, and so on.
所以我也會分析點餐的地方、用餐的地方等等。
Professor: Wait. I thought you were gonna come up with a hypothetical business plan for an amusement park.
教授:等一下。我還以為你要給游樂園提出一個虛擬的商業計劃呢。
Isn't that what you e-mailed me last week?
你上個星期給我發的郵件不是這么寫的嗎?
I could've sworn...Oh, I'm thinking of a Tom from another class. Tom Benson. Sorry. Sorry.
我可以發誓……啊,我想到的另一個班的Tom,Tom Benson,不好意思,不好意思。
Student: No problem. I did e-mail you my idea too, though.
學生:沒關系。不過我確實也把我的想法寫在郵件里發給你了。
Professor: That's right. I remember now. Restaurants, yeah.
教授:沒錯,我現在想起來了,餐館,是的。
Student: So here's my question, I read something about service standard that kind of confused me.
學生:我的問題是這樣的:我讀到了一些關于服務標準的內容,這讓我有點困惑。
What's the difference between service design and service standard?
服務設計和服務標準的區別是什么?
Professor: Service standard refers to what a company...employees are ideally supposed to do in order for everything to operate smoothly, the protocols to be followed.
教授:服務標準指的是為了讓一切都能順利運行,一個公司……員工理想中應該做的事情,也就是要遵循的規程。
Student: Oh, okay.
學生:哦,這樣啊。
Professor: So backing up, service design is... uh, think of the cafeteria here on campus.
教授:那么再回過來,服務設計是……嗯,你可以想想學校這里的自助餐廳。
There are several food counters, right?
那里有好幾個食品柜臺,對嗎?
All with big, clear signs to help you find what you're looking for: soups, salads, desserts.
所有的柜臺上都有很大很清晰的標志幫助你找到你在找的東西:湯、沙拉、甜點。
So you know exactly where to go to get what you need.
所以你明確知道應該去哪里找到你需要的東西。
And when you finish picking up your food, where do you go?
當你拿完了食物,你要去哪兒呢?
Student: To the cash registers.
學生:去收銀臺。
Professor: And where are they?
教授:那又在哪里呢?
Student: Right before you get to the seating area.
學生:在到達座位區之前就能看到。
Professor: Exactly. A place that you would logically move to next.
教授:沒錯,在你邏輯上會去的下一個地方。
Student: You know, not every place is like that, this past weekend was my friend's birthday, and I went to a bakery in town to pick up a cake for her party.
學生:但是你知道嗎?不是所有地方都是這樣的,上周末是我朋友的生日,我去了城里一家面包店取她生日派對上要用的蛋糕。
And the layout of the place was weird, people were all in each other's way, standing in the wrong lines to pay, to place orders.
那個地方的布局太奇怪了,每個人都擋著了別的路,站錯了隊伍付款和下單。
Oh, and another thing, I heard this bakery makes really good apple pie, so I wanted to buy a slice of it too.
還有一件事,我聽說這家面包店做的蘋果派很不錯,所以我也想買一塊。
Professor: OK?
教授:然后呢?
Student: There was a little label that said apple pie where it's supposed to be but there wasn't any left.
學生:在本該擺放蘋果派的地方有一個小標簽寫著蘋果派,但是那里什么也沒有了。
Professor: That's what's called a service gap, maybe there wasn't enough training for the employees or maybe they just ran out pie that day.
教授:而這就被稱為服務缺口,也許那里的員工沒有受到足夠的培訓,或者也許那一天就是賣完了派。
But something is wrong with the process, and the service standard wasn't being met.
但是這個程序有問題,而且沒有達到服務標準。
Student: OK.I think I get it. Anyway, since part of the requirements for the term project is to visit an actual place of business.
學生:好的,我想我懂了。反正既然學期課題的部分要求是要參觀一個真正的商業場所。
Do you think I could use our cafeteria? They seem to have a lot of the things I'm looking for.
你覺得我能不能用我們學校的餐廳?他們那兒似乎有很多我在找的東西。
Professor: Well, campus businesses like the cafeteria or bookstore don't quite follow the kinds of service models we're studying in class.
教授:像自助餐廳或書店這樣的校園商業,不太符合我們在課上學的那種服務模式。
You should go to some other local establishment I'd say.
要我說你應該去一些其他的當地商店。
Student: I see.
學生:我知道了。
Professor: But just call the manager ahead of time so they aren't surprised.
教授:不過要提前給經理打電話,以免他們不知道怎么回事。