If you are attending a local college, especially one without residence halls,
如果你上本地大學,特別是那種沒有學生宿舍的大學,
you'll probably live at home and commute to classes.
你可能需要住在家里,通勤上學。
This arrangement has a lot of advantages. It's cheaper.
這種安排有很多好處。它很便宜。
It provides a comfortable and familiar setting,
你可以享受舒適熟悉的環境,
and it means you'll get the kind of home cooking you're used to
同時也意味著你可以吃家里的食物,
instead of the monotony that characterizes even the best institutional food.
而不是千篇一律的飯堂。
However, commuting students need to go out of their way to become involved in the life of their college
然而,通勤上學的學生需要參與大學生活,
and to take special steps to meet their fellow students.
以及額外的方式與同學見面。
Often, this means a certain amount of initiative on your part in seeking out and talking to people in your classes whom you think you might like.
通常來講,這意味著你需要主動尋找和班上的你可能喜歡的人們講話。
One problem that commuting students sometimes face is their parents' unwillingness to recognize that they're adults.
通勤上學的學生還有一個麻煩事,他們的父母不愿意承認他們已經是成人了。
The transition from high school to college is a big one,
從高中到大學的轉變是十分巨大的,
and if you live at home you need to develop the same kind of independence you'd have if you were living away.
如果你住在家里,那么你需要建立和你住在外面相同的自主獨立。
Home rules that might have been appropriate when you were in high school. Don't apply.
家規可能在你還是高中生的時候適用。但大學不是。
If your parents are reluctant to renegotiate,
如果你的父母拒絕協商,
you can speed the process along by letting your behavior show that you have the responsibility that goes with maturity.
你可以通過讓自己的行為顯示你可以承擔成年人的責任匹配來加快這個進程。
Parents are more willing to acknowledge their children as adults when they behave like adults.
如果孩子的舉止表現得像成年人,那么家長會更加愿意認可孩子們的。
If however, there's so much friction at home that it interferes with your academic work.
如果家里有太多的干擾,影響你的學術工作。
You might want to consider sharing an apartment with one or more friends.
那么你最好考慮和你的朋友們合租一間公寓。
Sometimes this is a happy solution when family tensions make everyone miserable.
有時,這是家庭緊張使得每個人不幸時最佳的解決方法。