Listen to part of a lecture in a philosophy class.
聽一段哲學課程。
Okay. So, uh, to continue our discussion…
好,我們繼續討論……
When philosophers talk about the basis of knowledge, they don't mean the source of information about any particular subject.
當哲學家在談知識的基礎時,他們不是指某個特定學科的信息來源。
They mean how we know what we know.
他們是指,我們是怎樣知道我們所知的東西的。
Let's start with one philosophical view—foundationalism.
我們先講一個哲學觀——基礎主義。
Foundationalism is the view that our knowledge claims, what we think we know, that is, they need to have a base.
基礎主義的觀點是,我們的知識主張,即我們認為我們知道的事物,需要一個基礎。
And think of knowledge as a house, you need a solid foundation on which to build your house.
把知識當作房子,你的房子要建在一個堅實的地基上。
And if you have a strong foundation, your house is more likely to be solid.
如果你有個堅實的基礎,你的房子就可能比較堅固。
Well, foundationalists think the same thing is true of knowledge.
基礎主義認為這也適用于知識層面。
If you have a solid base for your knowledge claims, then your knowledge structure is more likely to be strong, valid, true.
如果你的知識主張有個堅實基礎,你的知識結構就很可能比較堅固,有效,真實。
First, you need some good foundational knowledge claims, and then the rest of the knowledge claims can be based on these.
首先,你要有基礎的知識主張,剩余的知識主張立足于此。
Now, as to what kinds of knowledge claims are foundational....well, that's where this gets particularly interesting, it may sort of depends on which philosopher you ask.
至于什么樣的知識主張才是基礎性的,這就是特別有趣的地方,因為這得看你說的是哪個哲學家。
Take John Locke for instance.
例如約翰·洛克。
Locke's viewpoint essentially was that when humans are born, their minds are like blank slates, that is, we don't have any kind of knowledge when we are born.
洛克的觀點基本上是,人剛出生時,他們的思想就像白板,即我們出生時是沒有任何知識的。
We get our knowledge from our senses, you know, taste, touch, smell, sight, hearing.
我們通過感官獲取知識,味覺、觸覺、嗅覺、視覺和聽覺。
So, when we look at the world, first as babies and then as we grow, that's where our knowledge comes from.
當我們觀察世界,一開始作為嬰兒,然后我們長大了,我們的知識就是這樣來的。
Our senses, our experiences serve as the foundation for our knowledge.
我們的感官,我們的經驗,都是知識的基礎。
Now, for a very different view, let's turn to another philosopher—Rene Descartes.
來看看另一位哲學家——勒內·笛卡兒提出的不同觀點。
Descartes thought that you have to go much deeper to find the foundations.
笛卡兒認為,要找到基礎,你要更加深入。
He believed that our senses are not to be trusted, so he wanted to find a more solid foundation for knowledge.
他認為我們的感官是不可信的,所以他想找出一個更可靠的知識基礎。
He began with what has come to be called methodological doubt.
他開始提出所謂的“懷疑方法論”。