1、happen
(偶然)發生,出現
We cannot say for sure what will happen.
我們無法確定會發生什么事。
The accident happened close to Martha's Vineyard.
事故發生在瑪莎葡萄園附近。
(作為結果)發生,產生
She wondered what would happen if her parents found her.
她不知道如果父母找到自己會有什么結果。
He trotted to the truck and switched on the ignition. Nothing happened.
他匆匆走向卡車并轉動點火開關,結果沒有任何反應。
(尤指不愉快的事)發生(在…身上);(某人)遭到;遇到
If we had been spotted at that point, I don't know what would have happened to us.
如果當時我們被發現了,我不知道會有什么后果。
It's the best thing that ever happened to me.
這是我所遇到的最好的事情了。
碰巧;湊巧
We happened to discover we had a friend in common.
我們湊巧發現我們有一個共同的朋友。
I looked in the nearest paper, which happened to be the Daily Mail.
我仔細看了一下離自己最近的那份報紙,正巧是份《每日郵報》。
2、scare
驚嚇;使驚恐;使擔憂
You're scaring me.
你嚇著我了。
What scares me most is that I'm going to end up not being married.
最讓我擔心的是我會一輩子嫁不出去。
恐懼;恐慌
the doctor at the centre of an Aids scare.
身處艾滋病恐慌中心的醫生
Despite the scare there are no plans to withdraw the drug.
盡管大家憂心忡忡,可是并無撤回藥物的計劃。
(炸彈或安全)恐慌
Despite many recent bomb scares, no one has yet been hurt.
盡管最近發生多起炸彈恐慌,目前還沒有人員受傷。
a security scare over a suspect package.
可疑包裹引起的安全恐慌