Listen to part of a conversation at the information desk in the library.
聽一段在圖書館信息咨詢處的對話。
Librarian: Hi. Can I help you?
你好,我能幫你什么嗎?
Student: Where do I go, besides the computers, to look for books on New Zealand?
除了用電腦,我還能在哪里找到關于新西蘭的書?
Librarian: OK. You mean you don't want to use the computer?
好。你是指你不想用電腦?
Student: Well, I haven't had any luck on the computers here.
在電腦上我可沒什么好運氣。
Librarian: OK. I mean the reason I am asking is you pretty much have to go to the computer to find out where a book is.
好。我之所以這么問是因為你很可能需要用電腦才能找到那本書在哪里。
Librarian: But I can help you find it on the computer if you like.
但如果你愿意,我能幫你在電腦上找到書。
Student: That would be great. I just spent half an hour and I couldn't find anything.
那太好了。我剛花了半小時,什么都找不到。
Librarian: I know how you feel. When I first started working here, I couldn't find anything either.
我明白你的感受。當我剛在這兒工作的時候,我也什么都找不到。
Librarian: So you are looking for information on New Zealand, is that right?
你在找關于新西蘭的信息對嗎?
Student: Yes.
對。
Librarian: Is it like travel information that you are looking for?
你找的是旅游信息嗎?
Student: Uh… No. Actually what I am looking for is information on a volcano in New Zealand.
不。事實上我找的是關于一座新西蘭的火山。
Librarian: Oh. OK. Because I know a travel agency that specializes in tours in New Zealand and Australia.
噢。好。因為我知道一家旅行社,他們在組織新西蘭和澳大利亞的旅游很在行。
Student: Oh. I'd love to go. I heard it's beautiful.
噢,我很想去那兒。我聽說那里很美。
Librarian: Yeah.
對。
Student: Maybe someday.
也許有一天會吧。
Librarian: Yup. OK. Let's see …
好。讓我們來看看……
Librarian: OK. If you want to search the library holdings and don't know the author's name or the exact title of the book or an article, you have to set up a keyword search.
好。如果你想查圖書館的存書,但不知道作者名字,或是不知道書或文章的標題,你就要設置一個關鍵詞搜索。
Librarian: It is a special function. Then you can just type in some keywords and let the computer do the search.
這是個特殊功能。然后你就可以輸入一些關鍵詞,讓電腦自己搜索。
Student: I see.
我明白了。
Librarian: OK. Oh, how about if we search for "volcanoes" and "New Zealand"?
好。我們搜搜“火山”和“新西蘭”怎么樣?
Student: Sounds good.
聽起來不錯。
Librarian: It's for a geology class?
是為了地理課嗎?
Student: Mhmm.
嗯。
Librarian: Ha! You must be from Professor Simpson's class.
你肯定是辛普森教授帶的班里的。
Student: No.
不。
Librarian: Oh. Well, he is a volcano expert, so I thought he might be teaching your class.
噢。他是個火山專家,所以我以為他教你的班。
Student: No, I've heard he is really good though.
不,我聽說他很棒。
Librarian: Yeah. That's what everyone says. Do you know the name of the volcano?
對,大家都這么說。你知道火山的名字嗎?
Student: Mount Ruapehu.
魯阿佩火山。
Librarian: Can you spell that?
你能拼出來嗎?
Student: Sure. It is R-U-A-P-E-H-U.
當然。RUAPEHU。
Librarian: OK. Mount Ruapehu. Let's see. So are you a geology major?
好的。魯阿佩火山。來看看吧。你是地理專業的?
Student: Hem. Hardly.
不算是。
Librarian: Let me guess, you have to take a science course and you don't want to have to deal with biology, chemistry or physics.
讓我猜猜,你必須要上科學課,但你不想上生物、化學或物理。
Student: Exactly. But it's actually turned out to be a pretty interesting class.
對。但事實上這是個很有趣的課。
Librarian: Well, that's good. Um… does it have to be a book? Or could you use a journal article?
那挺好的。嗯……這必須是本書嗎?你能用一篇期刊論文嗎?
Student: Mhmm… no, either one would be fine.
嗯……不,哪一種都可以。
Librarian: OK. Well, here's a journal article. Let me check to see if we have it.
好,這里有一篇期刊文章。讓我看看我們現在有沒有。
Librarian: OK. We have the article, but it is from 2001. Is that OK, you think?
我們現在有這篇文章,但它是2001年的。你覺得可以嗎?
Student: Well, I'd like to have a look at it. The focus is really on eruptions in the last five years, but it might have some useful background material.
我想看看。關注的重點其實是在最近5年的火山爆發,但這也許能提供些有用的背景資料。
Librarian: OK. Well, let's see what else we can find.
好。來看看我們還能不能找到別的東西。
Student: Sounds good.
聽起來不錯。