Narrator:Listen to a conversation between a student and the director of the student cafeteria.
獨白:聽下面一段學生和學生食堂負責人之間的對話。
Hi, I... I am sorry to interrupt; could I ask you a few questions?
您好!我,嗯,很不好意思打擾您;我能問幾個問題嗎?
Sure, but if it is about you meal plan, you'll need to go to Room 45, just down the hall.
好的,不過你的問題如果與伙食計劃有關的話,你要到 45 號房間,沿著大廳直走,到那兒問才行。
Eh, no, I am OK with my meal plan. I am actually here about the food in the student cafeteria.
嗯,不是,我覺得伙食計劃還不錯。我到這兒來,是與學生食堂的食物有關的。
Oh, we do feed a lot of students, so we can't always honor individual requests. I am sure you understand.
哦,我們這兒為許多學生提供餐飲,這樣的話,我們不能每一次都照顧各個學生的要求。我想這你也能理解吧!
Of course. It is just that I am a little concerned, I mean, a lot of us are, that a lot of the food you serve isn't really that healthy.
當然我能理解。只是我有些擔心,我想說的是,你們這里提供的相當一部分食品,其實并不是特別健康,
Like there are so many deep-fried foods.
譬如許多油炸得很透的東西。
As a matter of fact, we recently changed the type of oil we use in our fryer.
是這樣的,我們最近調換了炸箱里的油的種類,
It is the healthiest available.
新換的油是目前最健康的。
And would you believe that at least ten students have already complaint that their French fries and fried chicken don't taste as good since we switched?
可是,你能相信嗎,自從我們換了油以后,至少 10 個學生投訴說法式炸品和炸雞的味道比以前難吃了。
Oh, I try not to eat too many fried foods anyway.
哦,不過,我盡力不吃那么多油炸食品。
I am just aware that, eh...You see, I used to work in a natural food store.
我只是想到,嗯,我以前在一家天然食品店里上班,
They had all these literature advising people to eat fresh organic growing food. Working there really open my eyes.
他們有各式各樣勸告人們食用新鮮有機食品的廣告語。在那兒上班確實給我開了眼界!
Did you come to the organic food festival we had to celebrate Earth Day?
你來過我們在慶祝地球之日時舉辦的有機食品節嗎?
No, sorry, I must have missed that.
哦,對不起,我想我肯定是錯過了。
We served only certified organic food, most of which was from local farms.
我們那時只提供經過認證的有機食品,它們多數本地農場出產的。
It is not something we can afford to do on a daily basis, and there aren't too many organic farms around here.
這種活動成本太高,要天天搞的話,我們負擔不起。而且,周圍的有機食品并不多。
But sometime the produce we offer is organically grown.
但是,有時我們提供的食物,是自然生長的。
It depends on the season and the prices of course.
這種食物的供應量當然取決于季節和價格了。
That's good to know. I like the fact that organic farms don't use chemical pesticides or anything that can pollute the soil or the water.
我很高興能知道這一點。我希望,有機農場不會使用化學殺蟲劑這種會污染水土的東西。
I do too. But let me ask you this.
我也是這樣想的。但我這樣跟你說吧,
Is it better for the environment to buy locally grown produce that is not certified as organic or is it better to get organically grown fruits and vegetables that must be trucked in from California, three thousand mile away. What about fossil fuels burned by the trucks' engine.
到底是買本地出產但沒有被標記為有機食品的農產品好呢,還是采購從三千里之外的加州、通過燃燒汽油運過來的有機蔬菜和水果好?那卡車消耗的汽油呢?
Plus the expense of shipping food across long distances.
外加上,從距離遠的地方貨運的成本高昂。
And nutritionally speaking, an apple is an apple however it is grown.
從營養學的角度講,一個蘋果,不管它是怎么長出來的,好歹都是一個蘋果。
I see your point. It is not so clear-cut.
我明白你的意思了。這確實是很難做出決定的事情。
Why don't you visit our cafeteria's website?
為什么不訪問以下學校食堂的網站呢?
We list all our food suppliers. You know, where we buy the food that we serve.
我們列出了我們所有的食品供應商,即我們所有食品的原材料來源。
And the site also suggests ways to make your overall diet a healthy one.
而且網站上還有如何讓你們的飲食更加健康的建議。
You can also find some charts listing fat and calorie content for different types of seafood, meat and the other major food groups.
你可以在上面找到各種海鮮,肉類等主要食物品種的脂肪和卡路里含量。
I didn't realize you thought about all these things so carefully, I just noticed the high-calorie food in the cafeteria.
我一直沒有想到,你們居然把事情想得這么周到!我只是注意到了食堂里海鮮的熱量高。
Well, we have to give choices so everyone is satisfied.
嗯,我們嘗試了各種機會,以滿足每一個學生的要求。
But if you wish to pursue this further, I suggest that you talk to my boss.
但如果你想要在此之外提出更多的要求的話,我建議你和我的老板聊聊。
Student That's OK, seems like you are doing what you can.
這就夠了,事實上你們已經在盡力而為了。