Stu:Hi, I am a new here and I couldn't come to our student orientation and I'm wondering if you can give me a few quick points just about library.
學生:嗨,我是還沒參加上新生入學會的新生。不知道您是否可以給我簡單介紹一下圖書館呢?
I'd really appreciate it.
真的很感謝。
Pro:Sure. I will be glad to. What's your major area of study?
教授:當然,很樂意幫助你。你的專業是什么?
Stu:Latin American Literature.
學生:拉美文學。
Pro:OK. Well, over here's the section where we have language, literature and arts.
教授:好的。這里就是我們語言、文學及藝術的分區。
And if you go down stairs you will find history section.
下樓的話你會看見歷史分區。
Generally, the students who concentrated in Latin American literature find themselves research in history section a lot.
一般來講,學習拉美文學的學生都喜歡在歷史分區學習。
Stu:Hum, you are right.
學生:嗯,是的。
I am a transfer student and I've already done a year in another university so I know how the research can go that spent a lot of time on history section.
我是轉學生,而且已在另一所大學學習過一年,所以我知道需要在歷史方面研究很長一段時間才成。
So how long can I borrow books for?
那么我借書可以借多久呢?
Pro:Our loan period is a month.
教授:一個月。
Oh I should also mention that we have an inter-library loan service.
哦,還有,我們有一種圖書館間借閱服務。
If you need to get to hold a book that not in our library, there is a truck that runs between our library and a few public and university libraries in this area.
如果你想借閱的書籍在我們館里沒有的話,有一輛卡車專門在我校圖書館以及一些公共圖書館或者其他大學圖書館間穿行,
It comes around three times a week.
每周3次。
Stu:It's great!
學生:太棒了。
At my last school, it takes really a long time to get the materials I needed.
在我之前的學校,想借閱材料真的是很費時間。
So when I had a project, I had to make a plan away in advance.
每次我想做項目的時候,總需要提前制作方案。
This sounds much faster.
這樣的話就好多了。
Another thing I was wondering is:is there a place where I can bring my computer and hook it up?
還有件事,有沒有可以使用電腦并插電的地方?
Pro:Sure.
教授:當然。
There is a whole area here on the main floor where you can bring a laptop and plug it in for power but on top of that we also have a connection for the internet that every seat.
在主樓層這里有很寬敞的區域可供使用筆記本電腦,你可以插上電源,更棒的是我們每個座位上都提供網絡連接。
Stu:Nice, so I can do the all research I need to do right here in the library.
學生:太好了。這么說我只要在圖書館就可以進行我所有的研究了。
All I have the resources, all the books and the information I need right here in one place.
我可以在一個地方有資源、書籍和信息。
Pro:Yeah. That's the idea. I am sure you'll need photo copiers too.
教授:是的,就是這樣。我想你也需要復印吧。
There is down the hall to the left.
位置就在大廳左邊。
We have system where you have to use copy cards so you'll need to buy a card from the front desk.
我們的系統需要你在前臺辦一張復印卡才可以復印文件。
You would insert it into the machine and you read it into the copies.
你需要把卡放進機器中,然后讀卡。
Stu:How much do you get charge?
學生:多少錢呢?
Pro:Seven cents a copy.
教授:每張 7 美分。
Stu:Hum, that is not too bad. Thanks. Hum, where is the collection of the rare books?
學生:嗯,那還成。謝謝。那么珍貴書籍在哪里啊?
Pro:Rare books are upon the second floor.
教授:珍貴書籍在二層。
There is in the separate room where the temperature controlled, to preserved old paper in them.
在獨立的一個房間內,那里有溫度控制系統保存舊書籍。
You need to get special permission to access, and then you have to need to wear gloves to handle them because the oil in our hands, you know, can destroy the paper.
你如果想進去的話需要特批,而且必須帶上手套才成。因為我們手上的油,你知道會使紙張張變壞。
And gloves prevent that so we have a basket of gloves in the room.
而戴手套就避免了這個問題,在房間了我們放置了一籃子手套。
Stu:Ok. Thanks. I suppose that all I need to know. You've been very helpful. Thanks.
學生:好的。謝謝。我想我就這些問題了。您對我的幫助太大了。多謝。
Pro:Anytime. Bye
教授:不客氣。拜拜。
Stu:Bye.
學生:拜。